Fondant/gum Paste Toy Story Characters Help!!

Decorating By hmbarnes11 Updated 26 Jun 2013 , 8:21pm by FullHouse

hmbarnes11 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hmbarnes11 Posted 26 Jun 2013 , 7:56pm
post #1 of 5

I just got an order this morning for a Toy Story themed birthday cake. I love the idea, but I'm a little nervous about the characters. I have made characters before and they turned out ok, but I want them to be spectacular!!

The cake is due July 13, so I have a couple of weeks still yet, but I want to get started on them now so I don't have to worry about them until I want to attach them to the cake. With that being said, I still want them to look freshly made, not cracky. Can I start on them now, or should I wait until closer to time?

I have 9 characters to make:

Woody, Bullseye, Buzz, Jessie, Rex, Ham, Slinky and Mr. & Mrs. Potato Head

I want them to look just as detailed as the actual characters...any insight will be appreciated!!!

Thanks!!

4 replies
Lynne3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lynne3 Posted 26 Jun 2013 , 8:02pm
post #2 of 5

That's a tall order.  Those characters are very specific.

I have made fondant mixed with gumtex figures weeks ahead.  Your downside is that green fades terrible, so you have to keep them in the dark until the day they go on the cake. 

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 26 Jun 2013 , 8:04pm
post #3 of 5

Uh, unless you get a release from Disney Pixar, you are not allowed to make them for an order. I would buy the toys. Imaginext has some really super cute ones.

hmbarnes11 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hmbarnes11 Posted 26 Jun 2013 , 8:09pm
post #4 of 5

Lol...yes!! That's why I want to start them now!! I don't want to feel overwhelmed while I'm working on the cake itself. Covering a cake in fondant already stresses me out!!!

I saw that I could "repaint" any colors that fade, but other than that will they look as good the day the use them as the day I make them if they dry out?

So, I make them and let them dry out in a dark place and they are good to go when needed?

Should I just use fondant? Or gum paste? Or a mixture of something?

Thanks!!

FullHouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FullHouse Posted 26 Jun 2013 , 8:21pm
post #5 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annabakescakes 

Uh, unless you get a release from Disney Pixar, you are not allowed to make them for an order. I would buy the toys. Imaginext has some really super cute ones.

Yes, don't mess with Disney.  Definitely not worth the risk.  Plus, if you buy the figurines it saves you the headache of trying to sculpt them.  It would be near impossible to get them exactly right, otherwise they will just look wrong.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%