Topsy Turvy 10 Inch Cake Tin

Baking By joanast Updated 26 Jun 2013 , 6:54pm by sugardaze

joanast Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joanast Posted 25 Jun 2013 , 5:48am
post #1 of 2

Hi 

I have made a 10inch topsy turvy cake using the topsy turvy tin.My cake is cooked and nearly burning on the outer edges but is still not cooked in the middle.Would you make two cakes and place them together or would you make one and cut it in half.What amount of ingredients would you use ? My first attempt is a disaster .Please help .

1 reply
sugardaze Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugardaze Posted 26 Jun 2013 , 6:54pm
post #2 of 2

Hi,

I ran into the same problem when I tried baking my god-daughter's "First Communion" cake.

You will need to purchase a heating core for baking cakes that are larger than 9" in diameter. Your local craft store such as Michael's carries the Wilton Heating Core (that is the place I purchased it from and I'm located in Canada). The heating core is set inside the center of the pan before it is filled with batter (lightly greased on both the inside and the outside) and the cake batter is poured around it. A small amount is poured into the cake core itself to create a “plug” for the cake after it has baked. When the cake bakes, some heat radiates outward from the metal core, putting more of the batter closer to a direct heat source and baking a bit faster.

If you are unable to get your hands on a heating core, I have heard cake decorator's using their "Flower Nails". For example, a 12 inch cake would need require three flower nails. Apparently, you coat the nails the same way you coat your pans. Place them together in the middle of the pan. Pour batter in.Bake as normal.

Either one of these methods will solve issue of the inside of the cake being under-cooked white the outside is over-cooked.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%