Help Please...

Decorating By johannap_73 Updated 17 Jun 2013 , 3:21pm by johannap_73

johannap_73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
johannap_73 Posted 17 Jun 2013 , 12:08am
post #1 of 6

i have a customer who's husband is a recovering alcoholic, and they love fruitcake, i would like to know what do you do to keep your cake moist, because i normally pump my fruit cake with alcohol over a period of a couple of months...what do i do when no alcohol is allowed in the cake, i know i can soak the fruit in apple juice but what would i use in place of brandy for the other part as im not sure if apple juice would be very good for pumping the cake with after it has cooked....

any ideas this is a first for me...as my fruit cakes are booze bombs as i was told the other day 

5 replies
bct806 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bct806 Posted 17 Jun 2013 , 12:54am
post #2 of 6

Never made a fruit cake myself but found a thread with some answers http://cakecentral.com/t/754206/how-do-i-make-a-rich-fruit-cake-without-alcohol

johannap_73 Posted 17 Jun 2013 , 6:32am
post #3 of 6

thanks

DriveMeBatty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DriveMeBatty Posted 17 Jun 2013 , 7:48am
post #4 of 6

Hehe I got halfway through your post and instantly knew you were another Aussie icon_biggrin.gif Sorry can't help you out with any advice - your booze bomb method is the same way I was taught by my mum!!

Evoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Evoir Posted 17 Jun 2013 , 10:20am
post #5 of 6

AI usually do all mine with ETOH as well, I have done an alcohol-free fruit cake on occasion, and its really much more fruit than cake, and its super moist and yummy....is there any way you can simply up the moisture of your fruitcake by adding more fruit to the recipe, and then leave out the booze altogether? Maybe worth doing a test run.

johannap_73 Posted 17 Jun 2013 , 3:21pm
post #6 of 6

i found a boiled fruitcake recipe that im going to try but im not sure how it is going to go with being fondant covered, from what i remember from one of my teachers years and years omg and years ago i was told that boiled fruitcake is not suitable to fondant cover because they leak or something like that....so not sure how it will go i have time to test a few but not that much time lol

and  yep im an aussie from queensland....but thanks anyways

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%