How Do I Create The Effect Of Glass?

Decorating By Fireflygal87 Updated 23 Jul 2013 , 4:21pm by Fireflygal87

Fireflygal87 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Fireflygal87 Posted 8 Jun 2013 , 6:09pm
post #1 of 7

Hi All,

This is my first time posting so apologies if this is in the wrong place.

I'm looking at creating a frozen buttercream transfer of Alice In Wonderland in the "Drink Me" bottle for a cake. I've done a FBCT before and that was fine but I want to give the effect of the glass of the bottle over Alice's legs/skirt. I am thinking of using piping gel but I've read a few articles that say it doesn't work.

I'm just wondering if anyone knows how I could create this effect. Any help is appreciated.

Many thanks, :)

6 replies
Declansmama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Declansmama Posted 18 Jun 2013 , 6:03am
post #2 of 7

AMaybe look up Martha Stewarts broken glass cupcake recipe. It does look like glad but I'm not sure if that's what you need.

Declansmama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Fireflygal87 Posted 25 Jun 2013 , 5:10pm
post #4 of 7

AThanks Declansmama but I think the hot caramel will melt the butter cream outline of the bottle. Will definitely bookmark that for Halloween though :)

Rosie93095 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosie93095 Posted 25 Jun 2013 , 5:32pm
post #5 of 7

Definitely do not use gel- it will cause your BC to run.

novice Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
novice Posted 25 Jun 2013 , 5:55pm
post #6 of 7

You dont want to pour the hot sugar on the cake.  Pour it on a cookie sheet that has foil on it, sprayed with Pam or lightly greased.  When cooled a bit but still warm you can use a knife or pizza cutter to cut lines in the hot sugar to get the shape you want.  Let cool and peel from the foil carefully, and you will have the glass shape you want.  You can also melt hard candy to do this - jolly ranchers or life savers work well.

Fireflygal87 Posted 23 Jul 2013 , 4:21pm
post #7 of 7

ooh! Thanks. May have to give this a go :)

Much appreciated.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%