Question. About Modeling Chocolate

Decorating By joandwade Updated 8 Jul 2013 , 8:13am by joandwade

joandwade Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joandwade Posted 7 Jun 2013 , 2:35pm
post #1 of 10

AHi quick question can I make modeling chocolate out of a normal bar of white chocolate or I have to buy white cooking chocolate. I don't seem to be able to find candy melts what I see they use on you tube I wouldn't be able to find them in the country I live so can I just use normal chocolate?

9 replies
Crazy-Gray Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crazy-Gray Posted 7 Jun 2013 , 3:03pm
post #2 of 10

it'll be fine :0) the higher the cocoa butter percentage the better though; you may find that cheaper bars will give a softer MC if so either use less syrup or kneed in a load more melted choc if you find its too soft after making it. :0)

joandwade Posted 8 Jun 2013 , 5:53am
post #3 of 10

AThanks crazy-gray x

WickedGoodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
WickedGoodies Posted 12 Jun 2013 , 1:50pm
post #4 of 10

Hi there,

Candy melts are an imitation product...you are definitely better off going with a better brand of chocolate but no, you do not need to use 'baking chocolate.' Just a decent brand of white chocolate will do. 

joandwade Posted 12 Jun 2013 , 5:05pm
post #5 of 10

AWow thanks for that where could I find your book to buy please? I really want to learn to do more with this modeling chocolate I see so much of it used on the American tv shows I had never heard of it before but you must use it a lot in USA .

WickedGoodies Posted 12 Jun 2013 , 5:08pm
post #6 of 10

Hi,

Modeling chocolate is just beginning to catch on here in the US so my book has come out just in time to hopefully help some people. 

You can get it internationally at the Book Depository:

http://www.bookdepository.com/Cake-Decorating-with-Modeling-Chocolate-Kristen-Coniaris/9780988645400

Amazon.com is good for U.S. residents but also ships it internationally (they are due to receive more stock soon): 

http://www.amazon.com/dp/0988645408/?tag=cakecentral-20

joandwade Posted 13 Jun 2013 , 5:29pm
post #7 of 10

AI done some modeling chocolate today but must of done something wrong as it wasn't firming up anyway I can correct it or I have to throw it away?

Crazy-Gray Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crazy-Gray Posted 13 Jun 2013 , 5:57pm
post #8 of 10

AJust add more melted chocolate itll be fine :-)

WickedGoodies Posted 13 Jun 2013 , 6:03pm
post #9 of 10

First, make sure that you are giving it ample time to firm up. I pause 30-60 between all the stages of handling (after kneading, after rolling, after shaping, etc.). Second, make sure your work environment is cool (60-65 degrees F is best) because if it's not, chocolate can be very difficult to use.  If you are already doing both of those things and after an hour or so, the modeling chocolate still does not firm up, consider kneading some more melted chocolate into the batch to help give it some more strength. 

joandwade Posted 8 Jul 2013 , 8:13am
post #10 of 10

AHi wickedgoodies I got my book today it's fab I hope it sells well for sweeti its worth the buy xx

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%