Fondant And Buttercream - Wedding Cakes

Decorating By mrswazz Updated 1 Jun 2013 , 11:02am by AnnieCahill

mrswazz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrswazz Posted 31 May 2013 , 4:25am
post #1 of 12

This is less "of a how do I?" than a "should I?" question.  I am doing a wedding cake in about a month, and the bride originally wanted 2 tiers all fondant covered, but now has decided she wants a completely different design.  The design is a 4 tier, the top tier is quilted, the next tier is swirl roses, then smooth with a ribbon, then the last tier is swirl roses again.  It's totally gorgeous, but  my question is this.  I have no worries at all about the tiers with the roses as I have done them many times, but I worry about doing the other 2 tiers in buttercream.  It's so hard to get buttercream super super smooth, and then putting a ribbon around it, and quilting it...  I fear I am going to make a mess.  What do you all think about/have you ever seen a cake that has some tiers buttercream and some tiers fondant? It will be ivory so I don't have to worry about the buttercream not being pure white.  I would appreciate any advice and opinions!

11 replies
DebbyJG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DebbyJG Posted 31 May 2013 , 4:41am
post #2 of 12

AI personally wouldn't mix fondant tiers with bc tiers. I did a cake last year that was 6 tiers all bc, quilted, with pearl dot centers on each cross of the quilting. I also had the same question- how will the quilting look on bc?? But it turned out lovely. You just need to make sure to not quilt until your bc has gotten a crust, otherwise it will just gum up everywhere. Full disclosure, I use a ps-based all butter buttercreme. I don't know how it would work with a shortening creme.

DebbyJG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DebbyJG Posted 31 May 2013 , 4:43am
post #3 of 12

AOh, and you can put a wax paper "backing" on your ribbon so that the oil doesn't bleed through your ribbon (plus keep the nonfoodsafe ribbon off your buttercreme.)

bakingkat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakingkat Posted 31 May 2013 , 4:58am
post #4 of 12

When I do this I let it crust, smooth it with the Viva method, then put it in the freezer for about 2 minutes. I use a quilting impression mat dusted with cornstarch. HTH

mrswazz Posted 31 May 2013 , 5:30am
post #5 of 12

I use an italian meringue buttercream, and it doesn't crust.  It does get pretty stiff when it's refrigerated, though.  I am a little stressed about this!  The original design was quite simple, and this is quite a bit more difficult.  It's only my second wedding cake!  Perhaps it would be best to use a different buttercream for the quilted layer?!?  Oh goodness, lol.

mrswazz Posted 31 May 2013 , 5:39am
post #6 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbyJG 

I personally wouldn't mix fondant tiers with bc tiers.
I did a cake last year that was 6 tiers all bc, quilted, with pearl dot centers on each cross of the quilting. I also had the same question- how will the quilting look on bc?? But it turned out lovely. You just need to make sure to not quilt until your bc has gotten a crust, otherwise it will just gum up everywhere.
Full disclosure, I use a ps-based all butter buttercreme. I don't know how it would work with a shortening creme.

Sorry, what does ps-based mean?!?  I am pretty new to this!

mrswazz Posted 31 May 2013 , 5:40am
post #7 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbyJG 

I personally wouldn't mix fondant tiers with bc tiers.
I did a cake last year that was 6 tiers all bc, quilted, with pearl dot centers on each cross of the quilting. I also had the same question- how will the quilting look on bc?? But it turned out lovely. You just need to make sure to not quilt until your bc has gotten a crust, otherwise it will just gum up everywhere.
Full disclosure, I use a ps-based all butter buttercreme. I don't know how it would work with a shortening creme.

Sorry, what does ps-based mean?!?  I am pretty new to this!

Cakechick123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakechick123 Posted 31 May 2013 , 6:12am
post #8 of 12

Im of a different opinion, there is going to be so much texture difference between the tiers with smooth icing and the roses one, that I think fondant will look good!

I can never get butter cream smooth so personally I will go for fondant with the rose swirls on the other tiers

btw I think ps-based is powdered sugar based :)

scrumdiddlycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scrumdiddlycakes Posted 31 May 2013 , 7:25am
post #9 of 12

I have seen quite a few rosette cakes with a fondant tier, I think they look great, I actually prefer them to the all rosette styles. Quilting on butter cream is tricky, especially if you don't work with a crusting one.

A super quick google search came up with these, just to show that it doesn't look strange or 'clashy'.

https://lovellabridal.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/2_couture_wedding_cake_nancykays_confections_grace_ormonde_wedding_style.jpg

http://crabbycakecreations.files.wordpress.com/2012/04/rosesandpearls.jpg

mrswazz Posted 1 Jun 2013 , 1:34am
post #10 of 12

AOf course it means powdered sugar, omg how did I not figure that out?!? Lol. It was late!!! Thank you for your advice everyone!

cherrycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cherrycakes Posted 1 Jun 2013 , 3:08am
post #11 of 12

The cake that I have as my avatar is done with BC rosettes and a fondant tier. Perhaps it will help you decide if you like the look or not. I was asked to make a cake to celebrate the 25th anniversary gala event of a chamber music society. Their invitations had fireworks on them so I created the 'firework' spray out of crystals and beads in order to compliment, not overpower the rosettes. Bottom tier (10") is chocolate with raspberry ganache, top two tiers (8" & 4") are tuxedo cake with chocolate ganache. I am always grateful to i am baker for the wonderful technique of the rosette cake. It's such a simple design but so beautiful! TFL!

AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%