Help! Don't Know What To Do....

Decorating By maddy1977 Updated 3 Jun 2013 , 11:18am by Sweet_Cakes

maddy1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maddy1977 Posted 2 Jun 2013 , 2:58pm
post #31 of 38

Hello! I wanted to come back and let you all know how it went. So here's what happened. My sister in law put the cake in her kitchen table and it soon the icing started to melt, the cake had 1in frosting on top of the crumb coat and before she served it it was maybe 1/4 in because I can see the golden color of the cake. Well she served and cut it that it was enough for about 50 servings. I had a lot of people come to me and tell me that my cake was delicious and beautiful and some even asked me for a business card or a number to contact me for ordering. I don't know if it was just me getting that feeling but my  SIL didn't seem to happy about the compliments I got lol. I then noticed that she had another cake in her refrigerator (she didn't put mines in there lol) that she had order from the competition (a cake lady that is not licensed) but did not took out her cake. I don't know if she did served it after I left but when I left there were only a few people there and also ready to leave. So I don't know if she had initially order the cake from the other lady or had done it after knowing that mines was going to be free. I don't know, it's a mystery and I won't ask lol. I won't even mentioned anything to my hubby about her not looking happy for me on the compliments because he will probably say it's all in my head lol.

I was so relieved after all the compliments specially that I though the cake did not look as nice after soaking all that icing in. Thank you all again for all your comments, support and words of encouragement!! :)

Jess155 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jess155 Posted 2 Jun 2013 , 5:20pm
post #32 of 38

I'm glad everyone liked it, it was a cute cake!  I don't understand the part about the icing melting though... what happened?

maddy1977 Posted 2 Jun 2013 , 5:56pm
post #33 of 38

She did not keep the cake in a cool place, she put the cake in a really warm and humid kitchen, the cake soaked up the icing so by the time it was time to serve the cake, it had a lot less buttercream than what I initially put in. The cake needed to be keep in a dry cool place even though I used a high humidity recipe it was way to hot and humid for any recipe lol.

auntginn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntginn Posted 2 Jun 2013 , 6:09pm
post #34 of 38

Wow! So sorry for all your stress and problems but in the end if your bil was happy and the guest enjoyed the cake then time to just move on.  I can say from experience that families can do that to us.  We want to please, I always want everyone to be wowed and love the compliments, what does that tell you about me, lol

Don't let your sil's attitude work on you, shrug in off.  You did a great job and what people saw was how much you put into your work.  That will always show.

Congratulations.

maddy1977 Posted 2 Jun 2013 , 6:31pm
post #35 of 38

Awww, thank you so much! I won't let it get to me lol...I'm please with the ending results and that's what keeps us bakers/cakedecorators going!! : )

doramoreno62 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doramoreno62 Posted 3 Jun 2013 , 7:31am
post #36 of 38

Your SIL does not seem like a very nice or happy person!

Sweet_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweet_Cakes Posted 3 Jun 2013 , 11:17am
post #37 of 38

I think you should make a simple cake the way you make all of your cakes. If she doesn't like it then tough. You need to make something that you will be proud of. Will you be proud of taking shortcuts?

Besides, this will probably be a good way to gain some extra business!

Sweet_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweet_Cakes Posted 3 Jun 2013 , 11:18am
post #38 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by maddy1977 

Hello! I wanted to come back and let you all know how it went. So here's what happened. My sister in law put the cake in her kitchen table and it soon the icing started to melt, the cake had 1in frosting on top of the crumb coat and before she served it it was maybe 1/4 in because I can see the golden color of the cake. Well she served and cut it that it was enough for about 50 servings. I had a lot of people come to me and tell me that my cake was delicious and beautiful and some even asked me for a business card or a number to contact me for ordering. I don't know if it was just me getting that feeling but my  SIL didn't seem to happy about the compliments I got lol. I then noticed that she had another cake in her refrigerator (she didn't put mines in there lol) that she had order from the competition (a cake lady that is not licensed) but did not took out her cake. I don't know if she did served it after I left but when I left there were only a few people there and also ready to leave. So I don't know if she had initially order the cake from the other lady or had done it after knowing that mines was going to be free. I don't know, it's a mystery and I won't ask lol. I won't even mentioned anything to my hubby about her not looking happy for me on the compliments because he will probably say it's all in my head lol.

I was so relieved after all the compliments specially that I though the cake did not look as nice after soaking all that icing in. Thank you all again for all your comments, support and words of encouragement!! :)

I'm so glad it went well and you gained possible business!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%