Sps " Wtf " Moment.

Decorating By Pyro Updated 26 May 2013 , 10:17pm by Pyro

Pyro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pyro Posted 26 May 2013 , 9:47pm
post #1 of 5

Alright, so I didn't get to use the SPS system yet but I was wondering. I saw Leah's tutorial where you put a hole in the cake board ( you experts know what I'm talking about ). Having a curious mind a few questions popped into my head ( keep in mind this is curiosity and not possibly the best thing one should do ).

#1 - Why use a cake board at all, you got a sturdy plastic plate one could possibly just cut the cake on ? I take it the board is to easily remove the tiers for cutting, but wouldn't It make the cake layers tighter against each other ?

#2 - And again to make it " that much more flat ". I saw when people use fondant they remove the little fondant circles that are created when positioning the pillars, why not just completely remove the fondant circle the size of the plate?

This brings me to my WTF moment. I was looking at this video where the bakery seems to do just what I said, not use a board but stack straight on the plastic plate.

my wtf is at 1:35 when she glues down the cake, literally. She used gorilla glue !

" Gorilla Glue is polyurethane glue. All polyurethane glues foam when they come in contact with moisture and may cause gastro-intestinal blockage if swallowed. This is not unique to Gorilla Glue, but true of all polyurethane glues. If you think there has been a case of ingesting the glue, seek medical or veterinary advice immediately. " " Polyurethane glues are harmful or fatal if swallowed. "

This is quoted from the manufacturer's website...

But yeah any insights on my 2 fun questions is appreciated icon_twisted.gif

4 replies
Baking Sis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Baking Sis Posted 26 May 2013 , 10:01pm
post #2 of 5

She said they stack plastic on plastic instead of plastic on cardboard...even though it costs more, & they never asked to have the cakes plates returned.  So, she is putting the gorilla glue between the two plastic plates.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 26 May 2013 , 10:06pm
post #3 of 5

I use the cardboard cake circle to pick up and move the cake tier from the turntable to the SPS plate.  If you think you can decorate the tiers as you're building them on the SPS plate (which will already be in the tier below) more power to ya!  I couldn't do it.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 26 May 2013 , 10:11pm
post #4 of 5

OK, I watched the video.  I don't get it.  The cake tier was on a plastic plate?  why?  the glue would adhere just as easily to a cardboard.  And good luck to the caterer getting that mess apart.  smh
Oh, and she left the collars on too.

Pyro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pyro Posted 26 May 2013 , 10:17pm
post #5 of 5

I truly hope so! I thought she meant that her top " plastic plate system " touched the bottom " plastic pillars " of the system for a " plastic on plastic ".  I'm having a really hard time seeing what would be a board under a cake and quite honestly I've never even heard or even seen such a thing as a plastic cake board. Except the " flower shape " stuff they sell to decorate your table with the cake. But if there's two plastic plate ( the pillar system and a plastic cake plate ) she really wouldn't need corn syrup to hold anything, gorilla glue is industrial glue.

But that was just a side note to my two questions anyway icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%