Lounge By MG Creations Updated 23 May 2013 , 2:21pm by Crazy-Gray

MG Creations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MG Creations Posted 23 May 2013 , 8:40am
post #1 of 5
4 replies
Crazy-Gray Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crazy-Gray Posted 23 May 2013 , 9:47am
post #2 of 5

Welcome back :0) Sorry you had such a hard time- it must be a lovely feeling to be up to baking again though :0)

I use sponge all the time for novelty cakes, a light sponge for a basic round/square with BC filling and fondant covered (though sponge can support finger thick fondant I think it's too much- a doubt many people would want to eat that much of the stuff!)

If I'm carving my cake I add extra flour to make a slightly heavier cake, and if the carving is very detailed I cover in ganche before fondant. Every single cake I do is sponge and fondant :0)

Relznik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Relznik Posted 23 May 2013 , 10:26am
post #3 of 5

I'm unsure what a 'butter cake' is, but I'd say over 99% of my cakes are sponge cake (Victoria sponge - so equal weights of butter, sugar, flour and eggs (cracked weight).

I only use fondant (or sugarpaste, as we call it in the UK) and I also use marzipan underneath that - so extra weight!!   They're absolutely fine!!

HTH

Suzanne x

MG Creations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MG Creations Posted 23 May 2013 , 1:21pm
post #4 of 5

Thank you for responding to my question.

Crazy-Gray : I was wondering, My sponge cakes are extremely delicate, soft and spongy. I do not add any butter. I still am worried that even though my fondant covering is thin, I am concerned it will no be able to hold the weight. my cakes normally have sugar ornaments on top. Either figurines or flowers etc.

I would like to ask if you do add butter in your sponge cake.

Thank you though for your advise. i will give it a go then and try. I suppose if i never try i will never know. I only went by the information i was given. Thank you again.

Oh i love your cake they are fantastic.

Relznik: Thank you also for responding. I have made Victorian sponge cake before and it has worked well with my novelty cakes. But the sponge I'm talking about has no butter. I mainly use this recipe for continental cakes.

I have many clients who ask for continental cakes. But they also have asked if my novelty cakes can be made with a continental cake.

As i said before the only way i can know is to make one .

Thank you, your advise is most appreciated.thumbs_up.gificon_smile.gif

Crazy-Gray Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crazy-Gray Posted 23 May 2013 , 2:21pm
post #5 of 5

Ah I see, yes fatless cakes are certainly more fragile; I always use butter; same recipe as Relznik; its the UK standard (luckily for us I guess with all our wierd and wonderful cake requests!)

Are you able to play with your recipe slightly to make it more dense so that it's stronger, or maybe post the ingredients lists here; we might be able to help doctor it slightly? Would this be the same kind of cake traditionally made with fresh cream and fresh fruits?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%