Cake Lettering Help!!!

Decorating By weemac Updated 19 May 2013 , 2:48pm by Goreti

weemac Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weemac Posted 19 May 2013 , 12:47pm
post #1 of 6

AHi all. I'm new here and relatively new to cake decorating. I am having massive problems with letter cutters! I just don't know what I'm doing wrong. I have the funky alphabet tappit cutters and have also tried the clickstix and can't get either of them to work. I've tried rolling the fondant really thin, making it thicker, using icing sugar, cornflour and trex and leaving them to dry a bit before trying to get them out. I can't get the letters to come out of the cutters or when they do they fall apart. Any suggestions as to what I might be doing wrong? Thanks!!

5 replies
Godot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Godot Posted 19 May 2013 , 1:07pm
post #2 of 6

AUse gumpaste. Did you even read the instructions? The tappits are made for GP and it says right in yhe instructions to use GP.

savannahquinn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
savannahquinn Posted 19 May 2013 , 1:25pm
post #3 of 6

It's tricky...I usually use 50/50 and let it sit for a few minutes...press the letters without going all the way through and let it sit again, then just trace out with an  exacto knife.

jennicake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennicake Posted 19 May 2013 , 1:43pm
post #4 of 6

AUsu gumpaste, roll very thin (setting 5 on a pasta roller if you have one -- basically thin enough that you can almost see through it). Cut narrow strips then let sit for 5 minutes. Then cut out your letters.

weemac Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weemac Posted 19 May 2013 , 1:47pm
post #5 of 6

AThanks for the replies. I don't have instructions for them as was given them by a friend. Thanks everyone will give gumpaste a go!

Goreti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Goreti Posted 19 May 2013 , 2:48pm
post #6 of 6

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%