Buttercream From Homemade Butter?

Baking By lomfise Updated 21 May 2013 , 2:44pm by lomfise

lomfise Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lomfise Posted 7 May 2013 , 12:47pm
post #1 of 5

Hello all

Where I live unsalted butter is quite expensive, so I've been wondering if it's possible to make my own butter by simply whipping cream to the right consitency. I've looked online and it looks rather simple to make butter, and most recipes claim that it will keep for two weeks in the fridge.

I'm going to experiment with some cream as soon as I have time, but have any of you ever tried making buttercream from homemade butter and have any tips and tricks? Does it have the same texture and taste? Does it cool to the same firmness as storebought butter? Does it crust?

Thanks in advance.

Kind regards, Louise

4 replies
gemmal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gemmal Posted 7 May 2013 , 2:39pm
post #2 of 5

I did! Its great! Its makes about the same colour as using a light butter like lurpak but its slightly creamier tasting (go figureicon_biggrin.gif). It tastes really nice and has pretty much the same texture and works the same as normal store bought butter. When I made it I was a little worried about how long it would keep as I suppose at home you can't be 100% sure about getting all the liquid out (which make it go off quicker) and I didn't add any salt at all to it (to prolong the life) but I froze the batch of butter cream I made with it for a few days and when I defrosted it, it kept fine for about 4 days before I lost my nerve and scoffed it but I'm sure it would have been fine longer (though I did rinse that thing like you wouldn't believe!) Great stuff, but it doesn't taste right on bread though, it's just too creamy but for buttercream its perfect! (I made SMBC). Good luck with it, I'm sure it will go great =]

lomfise Posted 7 May 2013 , 5:30pm
post #3 of 5

Hi Gemmal

Thanks so much for your reply, you've given me the confidence to give it a try icon_biggrin.gif Lurpak is the local brand so I'm very familiar with it and it is great, it's just so very expensive here. For some reason unsalted is more expensive than salted and never on offer at the shops, I have no clue why that is.

Have a nice day birthday.gif

Kind regards, Louise 

gemmal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gemmal Posted 8 May 2013 , 8:10am
post #4 of 5

Let me know how it goes! icon_biggrin.gif

lomfise Posted 21 May 2013 , 2:44pm
post #5 of 5

This weekend I finally had the time and opportunity to try my hand at homemade butter

Making the butter was so easy I couldn't believe it, and from 1 litre of cream I ended up with 400g of butter and about 350 ml of buttermilk. The butter felt and tasted exactly like bought butter, and after a little math I found that it is actually a good deal cheaper for me to make it myself so definitely will in the future.

The next day I made SMBC with the butter, and the texture was the same as when I use bought butter, but I think the taste was a little more 'buttery'. I know SMBC isn't very sweet, but this was not sweet at all. It was edible and still delicious, but I might add just a tad more sugar next time. I took the cake to work and some of my colleagues thought this buttercream was better than usual, and some agreed with me that it tasted a little too 'buttery'. I guess it's a matter of taste.

I baked rolls with the buttermilk and they were SO good and soft!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%