Cake Wasn't Done Baking And I Had To Leave

Decorating By berry621 Updated 1 May 2013 , 10:24pm by berry621

berry621 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
berry621 Posted 1 May 2013 , 9:04pm
post #1 of 6

Ok, so I'm making a 3 tier wedding cake along with a sheet cake and all was going smoothly till I started baking the 9" round cakes. I thought I had enough time for them to bake before I had to leave for my doctor appointment, but the cakes just wouldn't finish. The middle was still jiggly and I couldn't wait any longer so I just turned off the oven and left the cakes inside. They were in there for about 2 hours. When I look at them now they seem ok. The middle is done and they are not burnt, but I'm afraid that like the edges are gonna be dry or something. Is there a way I can tell if these cakes are still good?

5 replies
Baking Sis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Baking Sis Posted 1 May 2013 , 9:27pm
post #2 of 6

Personally, I would remake the cakes rather than take a chance.  If the middle was jiggly when you shut the oven off, the centers of the cakes could be soppy/chewy not really baked...I just wouldn't use them.  Not worth the risk. 

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 1 May 2013 , 9:43pm
post #3 of 6

Cut the cake in half and take a look. Cut a sliver and taste the edge to see if it's dry. You have nothing to lose and everything to gain. If you are in doubt about the quality, bake another cake. If you decide it's good, push the halves back together and ice as usual.

jcd1130 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jcd1130 Posted 1 May 2013 , 10:00pm
post #4 of 6

I would definitely redo the cake.  It's a wedding, so I wouldn't want to be responsible for upsetting the bride with a raw cake or a cake that tastes like cardboard.  Best to be safe than sorry.  Good luck.

jcd1130 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jcd1130 Posted 1 May 2013 , 10:01pm
post #5 of 6

I would definitely redo the cake.  It's a wedding, so I wouldn't want to be responsible for upsetting the bride with a raw cake or a cake that tastes like cardboard.  Best to be safe than sorry.  Good luck.

berry621 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
berry621 Posted 1 May 2013 , 10:24pm
post #6 of 6

Thanks, I did what you suggested and cut it in half. the middle was done, but the cake was a little dry so I am going to redo it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%