Computer Paper???

Decorating By Mikel79 Updated 25 Jul 2013 , 5:58pm by morganchampagne

cupadeecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupadeecakes Posted 25 Jul 2013 , 1:42pm
post #31 of 36

My bench scraper is definitely one of, if not my most beloved tool in the kitchen.  I started out using Viva paper towels but I was never crazy about putting stuff like that on my cakes, so I eventually started using the bench scraper and with some practice began to get a smoothness that I couldn't achieve using the paper towels and wax paper.  And I don't know who inspected Annie's cakes for flaws, but that's not cool - that's not what this site is about.  Feel free to check out my cakes if you want, but you'll probably find some flaws.  Take a look at your cakes first though.  If they are 100% flawlessly perfect, fire away!

AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 25 Jul 2013 , 2:10pm
post #32 of 36

I TOTALLY agree!  :)

Back when I was trying out crusting buttercreams, I did give the Viva a try.  I had lint all over my cake.  It was a new roll, too.  So after that experience I just decided to learn with a scraper and spatula.

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 25 Jul 2013 , 2:39pm
post #33 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieCahill 

Yes, I got mine from Bed, Bath, and Beyond I think.  It's called a Bash and Chop.  Clearly I bought it because of the name.  :)

CLEARLY! Of course, that is why I bought it too, then I fell in love with it after using it , it is so stable on the turn table.  I love the straight sides on my cakes! 

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 25 Jul 2013 , 2:49pm
post #34 of 36

AI bought mine when I knew my Sugarshack BC dvd was on the way. I

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 25 Jul 2013 , 2:52pm
post #35 of 36

AWasn't finished....stupid phone. I did the whole process with computer paper and card stock, etc. while I used a crusting bc, which was all of two or three cakes. I switched to meringue bcs shortly after that, but still use the methods from the dvd, other than paper smoothing.

morganchampagne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
morganchampagne Posted 25 Jul 2013 , 5:58pm
post #36 of 36

AI just said to hell with picture perfectly smooth cakes all together and bought a decorating comb. It's my "signature" ;) if they want perfectly smooth sides I give them fondant.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%