I Don't Know About You But

Decorating By lenagc Updated 29 Apr 2013 , 11:03am by iCookiBake

lenagc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lenagc Posted 27 Apr 2013 , 5:25pm
post #1 of 13

I don't know about you but, it seems there are more and more fantastic cake artists now, then there was a few years back, I almost don't want to put my cakes up anymore, but I continue to put them up even if it seems no one is looking at them. I know I'm not the best artist but I think I'm pretty good. Cheers to the fantastic cake artist of today, I do enjoy looking at all the new techniques and beautiful cakes, they inspire me to keep doing what I love. I'm glad there is a forum where our cakes can be seen, good or not so good. I make cakes to make people happy, and I guess if I'm still making people happy that's all that matters. "Happy Baking" to all.

12 replies
iCookiBake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iCookiBake Posted 27 Apr 2013 , 5:56pm
post #2 of 13

I agree but at the same time, I have to stop and realize I'm just beginning and some of these people either have natural talent, or lots of pratice .. or BOTH at the same time! I also enjoy looking at all the cakes in the gallery, and I try to make time to comment on them. People on CC are not only amazingly talented, but amazingly helpful to newbies like me and I'm thankful I found this site and joined! =)

lenagc Posted 27 Apr 2013 , 8:14pm
post #3 of 13

That is so true, ccr's are the best when it comes to helping others out, and I do believe there are more classes out there now then there used to be and new things to learn. I am constantly learning, and try to stay in the know, when it comes to different techniques, I think your right there are a lot of people who have natural talent and who have practiced a lot. Thank goodness for Cake Central.

DeliciousDesserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeliciousDesserts Posted 27 Apr 2013 , 8:23pm
post #4 of 13

AIt may be or it may be the Internet has made it easier for us to find each other.

Original message sent by lenagc

but I continue to put them up even if it seems no one is looking at them. I know I'm not the best artist but I think I'm pretty good.

Sometimes it's really timing. The last few cakes I posted barely hit the front page before they were quickly replaced. One cake was gone before I could refresh the page.

lenagc Posted 27 Apr 2013 , 9:12pm
post #5 of 13

Thats true, timing is everything, that also has happened to me. Doesn't it make you feel like "what's wrong with my cake" ? don't people like it? I know that's how I feel sometimes.

DeliciousDesserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeliciousDesserts Posted 27 Apr 2013 , 9:24pm
post #6 of 13

AYES! That is exactly how I feel. I hate when I get all excited & proud about a cake ....*crickets*. So disappointing.

Original message sent by lenagc

Thats true, timing is everything, that also has happened to me. Doesn't it make you feel like "what's wrong with my cake" ? don't people like it? I know that's how I feel sometimes.

lenagc Posted 27 Apr 2013 , 10:55pm
post #7 of 13

Yup it's hard to keep positive, but thats where faith in our own abilities comes in, that's why I say "as long as I'm still making people happy" I guess I'm doing ok.

Norasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Norasmom Posted 27 Apr 2013 , 11:02pm
post #8 of 13

Always remember that through the eyes of a non-decorator even cakes we think are horrible are loved!   My cakes are finally starting to turn out to be acceptable to me, but I still can't smooth buttercream perfectly yet...

iCookiBake Posted 28 Apr 2013 , 2:26pm
post #9 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeliciousDesserts 

It may be or it may be the Internet has made it easier for us to find each other.
Sometimes it's really timing. The last few cakes I posted barely hit the front page before they were quickly replaced. One cake was gone before I could refresh the page.

That is true.. sometimes I'll find an amazing cake, and I'm like, why in the WORLD are there no comments or favorites!? And it's probably just bad timing.

lenagc Posted 28 Apr 2013 , 4:52pm
post #10 of 13

Yes I agree, I can bake a simple cake with sprinkles and my grandkids would think it's the best ever, because grandma made it, they love every cake I have ever made, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I guess I'm always striving for perfection, I'm harder on myself then anyone else, maybe that's why I'm hurt when nobody on cake central seems to like my cakes, especially when the customers are so thrilled. Yup just bad timing.

bct806 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bct806 Posted 28 Apr 2013 , 7:23pm
post #11 of 13

I think your cakes are gorgeous. You can't really compare what you do to what someone else does. Everyone has their own strengths. I am just starting out and it can be overwhelming to look at how amazing other people's cakes are but I know I will get there. In the end it comes down to whether you are happy with what you produced and if the customer is as well. 

lenagc Posted 29 Apr 2013 , 12:38am
post #12 of 13

Thank you so much for the compliment and I totally agree with you, and I have come a long way, and as long as my body holds out I'll keep doing what I love. Happy Baking  :)

iCookiBake Posted 29 Apr 2013 , 11:03am
post #13 of 13

I totally agree lenagc, your cakes are amazing ! So don't doubt yourself, even though I know it's easier said than done.. you've done some beautiful work, I only my gallery looks like that someday

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%