Help Getting Started Making Great Flowers

Decorating By Drxkfairy Updated 14 Jun 2013 , 8:33am by Drxkfairy

Drxkfairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Drxkfairy Posted 25 Apr 2013 , 6:20am
post #1 of 5

So I'm looking for some help with making amazing flowers. I know some of the basics but I'm feeling stuck. My flowers look a lot better then when i started but I feel that I have a lot more to learn so if any one know of any products or techniques that will help me fix my flowers so they look great every time. If there is a kit out there or some books, videos etc. that could help me. So I have posted some pictures of some of my flowers for my first attempt to a little more practice so if any one has tips I'm all ears.

First time making flowers

After some practice

4 replies
sixinarow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sixinarow Posted 28 Apr 2013 , 10:51pm
post #2 of 5

I think your flowers look great! The only thing that might make them look a little more realistic is to get the edges thinner and blend the colors more. Real flowers aren't exactly symmetrical, so remember that when you're making a bouquet. Roll the edges with a ball tool on a piece of foam to thin them as much as possible. When I'm painting flowers, I find using the dry dusts are more easily blended than liquids. It's easier to add more color to gradually darken than to try to lighten or undo.

I'm not sure how you are doing things right now, so sorry if this isn't any new advice. The best way to learn to shade is by looking at pictures of real flowers...(cheap too!)

You're doing great, I never like to see questions unanswered! icon_smile.gif Welcome to CC!

nancylee61 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nancylee61 Posted 29 Apr 2013 , 1:07pm
post #3 of 5

AThey look wonderful! What are the made of? Gum paste? Really lovely!

Drxkfairy Posted 14 Jun 2013 , 8:31am
post #4 of 5

Thanks!! so I just made this and wanted to get more input if I'm heading in the right direction. If you know of any products or things that you think might help that would be great. Do you know were to get good pictures from?

Drxkfairy Posted 14 Jun 2013 , 8:33am
post #5 of 5

Yes they are made out of gumpaste.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%