What Are Some Of Your Favorite Tools For Cake Decorating That You Would Be Lost Without?

Decorating By enga Updated 24 Apr 2013 , 9:57pm by enga

enga Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
enga Posted 23 Apr 2013 , 9:23pm
post #1 of 14

For one , my KA!!!!!

Fat Daddio's turntable

Plastic and metal bench scrapers (plastic for incredible smoothing of butter cream, and metal for quick clean up)

Straight and offset spatulas

Nesting bowls for mise en place (like to have ingredients weighed and measured before making anything)

Arsenal of tips, couplers, and disposable pastry bags

large medium and small sifters

weight scale

candy thermometer

Americolor food colors

If I didn't  have these things I think I would lose my mind.

What are your must have weapons of choice for mass cake production?

13 replies
BakerMom52 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakerMom52 Posted 23 Apr 2013 , 10:38pm
post #2 of 14

My arms and hands

enga Posted 23 Apr 2013 , 10:41pm
post #3 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by BakerMom52 

My arms and hands

lol, ikr.

lorieleann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lorieleann Posted 24 Apr 2013 , 12:09am
post #4 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by enga 

For one , my KA!!!!! YES

Fat Daddio's turntable Double YES

Plastic and metal bench scrapers (plastic for incredible smoothing of butter cream, and metal for quick clean up) I use a metal for smoothing...this was the first thing that came to mind

Straight and offset spatulas (i even have my favorites. for some reason i favor the pampered chef for the width of the blade and the angle and grip of the handle)

Nesting bowls for mise en place (like to have ingredients weighed and measured before making anything)  yes

Arsenal of tips, couplers, and disposable pastry bags 

large medium and small sifters (i love my crank sifter. hate the lever ones)

weight scale TRIPLE YES

candy thermometer (panic has set in while i look for a new battery)

Americolor food colors 

If I didn't  have these things I think I would lose my mind.

What are your must have weapons of choice for mass cake production?

I also need my level (either a little one or the one on my phone)

enga Posted 24 Apr 2013 , 12:27am
post #5 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorieleann 

I also need my level (either a little one or the one on my phone)

That's a good one to have.  I need something to make my writing more even, read somewhere on here that using a laser helps.

I think I will add them both to my wish list icon_wink.gif.

I dropped my digital candy thermometer in some boiling sugar, thinks it's toasticon_sad.gif or should I say candy but my big ole glass one with the red ball works fine,lol.

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 24 Apr 2013 , 1:23am
post #6 of 14

I would scream if I didn't have a whole bakery to work out of, I will never make a cake in my home ever again. It is just too disrupting to family life.

The 4 Kitchenaids, buying in bulk, weighing, multiple pans of each size, the commercial oven, 6 shelf cooling rack, Agbay, disposable piping bags, my 3 compartment sink, hand sink and mop sink, my pre-rinse! Oh, and my Beater Blades! I have 1 for each mixer, I wish so much that they made them for the 10 qt. Hobart, I would use it, if they did.

Cyndibear 08 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cyndibear 08 Posted 24 Apr 2013 , 1:47am
post #7 of 14

AGood humor for the disasters that happen, and passion. Without that I wouldn't bake & decorate.

enga Posted 24 Apr 2013 , 1:50am
post #8 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annabakescakes 

I would scream if I didn't have a whole bakery to work out of, I will never make a cake in my home ever again. It is just too disrupting to family life.

I make cakes for friends and family at home and it is hard, because when my kids use something like my favorite spatula for Icing cakes to make a p&j sandwich, and I cant find it, I snap out and scream from the roof tops, Don't Touch My Stuff!!!  My grand kids are smarter than my kids because I let them help me a lot. They help clean up and put things away and I explain their importance and value. They tell their parents, don't touch Grand Ma's things because she will snap, crackle, and pop! lol, love them.  Sheez, out of the mouths of babes.

They have a very strict system at work, so it's nice to know when I go to look for something its in its rightful place. At home on weekends with my grown kids visiting, eh, not so muchI HATE WHEN THEY WASH DISHES!!!! I cant find anything!.... Okay rant over.

The 4 Kitchenaids, buying in bulk, weighing, multiple pans of each size, the commercial oven, 6 shelf cooling rack, Agbay, disposable piping bags, my 3 compartment sink, hand sink and mop sink, my pre-rinse! Oh, and my Beater Blades! I have 1 for each mixer, I wish so much that they made them for the 10 qt. Hobart, I would use it, if they did.

enga Posted 24 Apr 2013 , 1:55am
post #9 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyndibear 08 

Good humor for the disasters that happen, and passion. Without that I wouldn't bake & decorate.

Well said thumbs_up.gif

Norasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Norasmom Posted 24 Apr 2013 , 2:32am
post #10 of 14

Cake Central.   icon_biggrin.gif

enga Posted 24 Apr 2013 , 5:20am
post #11 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norasmom 

Cake Central.   icon_biggrin.gif

I totally agree.

enga Posted 24 Apr 2013 , 8:46pm
post #12 of 14

I forgot something yesterday, my parchment full sheet pan liners.  I use them for sifting ingredients on, (make adding dry ingredients to the mixer so much easier), fold them to make circles for cake pans, for practicing scroll work, making pastry bags in a pinch, and piping chocolate decorations on.  I buy them by case 1000ct, they are so worth the 40 bucks!

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 24 Apr 2013 , 8:54pm
post #13 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by enga 

I forgot something yesterday, my parchment full sheet pan liners.  I use them for sifting ingredients on, (make adding dry ingredients to the mixer so much easier), fold them to make circles for cake pans, for practicing scroll work, making pastry bags in a pinch, and piping chocolate decorations on.  I buy them by case 1000ct, they are so worth the 40 bucks!

I really need to get some of those! I bought a roll at Walmart, it was terribly expensive for lasting a single weekend. Is that the price at BakeMark? I hate they don't get you a price list.

enga Posted 24 Apr 2013 , 9:47pm
post #14 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annabakescakes 

I really need to get some of those! I bought a roll at Walmart, it was terribly expensive for lasting a single weekend. Is that the price at BakeMark? I hate they don't get you a price list.

Yes they are from BakeMark, but after looking over the invoice they sold me the wrong ones, I paid $34.10 for the green lable 250ct. shhh.gifbut I ordered the Bake Sense super release pan liners that are treated on both sides 1000ct size 16 3/8 x 24 3/8 order number #11048.  They shouldn't be to much more.

My associate just asked me what products I use a lot and sent me a price list for those items.  When you order in large qty. the prices are so much cheaper but for smaller bakeries I think they charge more.  But it beats the heck out of Walmart and Sam's! 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%