Tcb Lemon Buttercream Help Needed

Baking By pamalbake Updated 23 Apr 2013 , 9:23pm by bct806

pamalbake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pamalbake Posted 23 Apr 2013 , 3:23pm
post #1 of 3

I made TCB lemon buttercream recipe in her book, using the Classic Butttercream recipe as stated. It needed the juice of 3 more large lemons and 1/2 tsp lemon extract for our taste, after I made it in the mixing bowl. Of course it was then too thin.  I added 1/2 powdered sugar to thicken it a bit, which helped, but in the end, it was really too soft to add any white chocolate flowers on to it and piping was sliding off the edge.

I will need to triple this recipe for my next cake.

Questions:

1- In the recipe, the lemon juice replaces the water in the saucepan.  Do I add the extra lemon at that time and if so, what happens to the amount of sugar I have to heat it with?

2- I know there isn't powdered sugar in the recipe, but do I add that again this time to thicken it enought to hold my decoration? 

3- all of the other obvious issues need answering.

The taste and texture was great, so I'd like to stick with this recipe and whatever alterations are needed.

Thank you

2 replies
liz at sugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
liz at sugar Posted 23 Apr 2013 , 6:16pm
post #2 of 3

I'm not familiar with the recipe ingredients, but how about using Lemon Oil instead of juice or extract?  Very lemony and all natural, and wouldn't add too much liquid to your recipe.

I make my lemon buttercream by adding lemon curd to my IMBC - very lemony without compromising the body of the icing.

Liz

bct806 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bct806 Posted 23 Apr 2013 , 9:23pm
post #3 of 3

I am not familiar with that recipe either. I do the same thing liz at sugar does. I add lemon curd. It is thick so it doesn't really thin out the frosting and it tastes tart and lemony like lemon icing should.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%