Help - Lorann Oils - Chocolate Flavor - Experiences? Thoughts?

Decorating By amypiac Updated 17 Apr 2013 , 10:46pm by amypiac

amypiac Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amypiac Posted 17 Apr 2013 , 10:21pm
post #1 of 3

Hello everyone!

I have an upcoming birthday project for a client. I'm planning on making cupcakes with a giant cake ball in the center (sports team colors made from a doughnut hole shape). I need to make chocolate cupcakes, but I don't want the colorful ball to take away from the chocolate flavor (since the ball will probably take up most of the cupcake space).

I've used many of the Lorann Oils with great success in baking, but I have never tried the chocolate flavor. Has anyone tried it? What do you think of it? Does it taste like chocolate or is it disgusting?

If anyone has any other suggestions for making the colorful ball taste like chocolate, please share! I cannot stray from a chocolate cupcake, nor can I use white-chocolate.

ANY and ALL help would be GREATLY appreciated!

Thank you! :-)

2 replies
Smckinney07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Smckinney07 Posted 17 Apr 2013 , 10:44pm
post #2 of 3

AI like the LorAnn oils, but the chocolate flavor is not good, at least in my experience. It smells more like coffee than chocolate, I have only used it once and perhaps I used too much but I wasn't pleased. Typically I use Ghiradelli or Dutch Process from King Aurthur, with real melted chocolate, and a bit of coffee to enhance the chocolate flavor-maybe that's why it smells more like coffee to me but I prefer using the all natural chocolate flavoring from Spices etc.

They have an excellent selection (SpicesEtc dot com) but I also use LorAnn.

amypiac Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amypiac Posted 17 Apr 2013 , 10:46pm
post #3 of 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smckinney07 

I like the LorAnn oils, but the chocolate flavor is not good, at least in my experience. It smells more like coffee than chocolate, I have only used it once and perhaps I used too much but I wasn't pleased. Typically I use Ghiradelli or Dutch Process from King Aurthur, with real melted chocolate, and a bit of coffee to enhance the chocolate flavor-maybe that's why it smells more like coffee to me but I prefer using the all natural chocolate flavoring from Spices etc.

They have an excellent selection (SpicesEtc dot com) but I also use LorAnn.

But I can't use actual chocolate for fear of altering the colors (I'm going to use orange, navy blue and white). Know of anything else I can do? :-\ (Thanks for your input on Lorann though)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%