Personal Or Not Personal??

Lounge By cakealicious7 Updated 21 Apr 2013 , 3:11am by jenmat

cakealicious7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakealicious7 Posted 14 Apr 2013 , 5:41pm
post #1 of 15

AIf family members or friends go to somebody else to bake their cakes- for whatever occasion does it bother you?

14 replies
IAmPamCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IAmPamCakes Posted 14 Apr 2013 , 5:45pm
post #2 of 15

AI'll admit, it would bother me. I'm trying to get my business off the ground, and getting a cake from someone else would definitely make me question my skills. not to mention the lack of loyalty from family.

mizlila Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mizlila Posted 14 Apr 2013 , 6:15pm
post #3 of 15

AIf they never came to me for their cakes, then yes. But if it's occasional, then no. After reading so many of the 'family members suck for wanting cakes at discounted pricing/short notice/etc' threads, I'm not sure it's a bad thing if they went elsewhere sometimes.

cakealicious7 Posted 14 Apr 2013 , 6:33pm
post #4 of 15

A@ IamPambakes I think I would feel the same, and then there's always the issue of jealous friends that don't want to see you successful.

cakealicious7 Posted 14 Apr 2013 , 6:34pm
post #5 of 15

AOh and mizlila your a stronger person than I am!!

scrumdiddlycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scrumdiddlycakes Posted 14 Apr 2013 , 6:41pm
post #6 of 15

The only time it's happened to me was actually out of consideration for me, so I wasn't offended in the least. I was in the wedding, and the bride didn't want me stressed out or busy before hand.

I would try not to take it personally if it happened on a regular basis, but I probably would to be honest.

That is assuming they were going to another bakery, not just a cheap grocery store cake. I don't do free or discounted cakes very often, so I understand the cost difference can be pretty steep, and times are tight.

IAmPamCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IAmPamCakes Posted 14 Apr 2013 , 6:54pm
post #7 of 15

AI sure hope I don't have jealous friends who don't want to see me successful! I dont get that mentality, though I know it's all over. I worked with a person (can't call her a lady. She is NO lady) who was so negative about every other baker in our small town. She would just hate on every detail she could find, and that negativity was exhausting to hear every day. But I digress :) I am ok with the occasional cake being ordered from somewhere else (expense is usually the reason) but never ordering from me would suck.

cakealicious7 Posted 14 Apr 2013 , 7:07pm
post #8 of 15

AShe probably had her own insecurities!!! Unfortunately where I live there is alot of jealous females that don't want you to succeed, I'm hoping as I get older that it will die down lol

sixinarow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sixinarow Posted 20 Apr 2013 , 10:14pm
post #9 of 15

It always bothers me. I wish it didn't, but I'm a softy!

It could be jealousy...or... maybe they know how much time and effort you put into it, can't afford to pay you full price and don't want to ask for a discount because they respect you. I have a friend like that, even though I would gladly give her a discount, she won't take it because she knows the amount of time it takes away from my family! But then I have a SIL who refuses to eat the cake whe she comes to my kids birthday parties, just to hurt my feelings. My husband caught her eating a piece in another room, asked her how she liked it and she couldn't answer him because she shoved too much into her mouth! icon_biggrin.gif

It depends on the friend or family member..if you have a feeling they're doing it out of spite..you're probably right. icon_sad.gif

DeliciousDesserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeliciousDesserts Posted 20 Apr 2013 , 10:18pm
post #10 of 15

AAbsolutely!

mcaulir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcaulir Posted 20 Apr 2013 , 11:56pm
post #11 of 15

Not even slightly. There might be all sorts of reasons - you don't make the kinds of things they like, you're too expensive (it's OK for people to not want to spend lots of money on a really good cake), they want you to enjoy the party instead of worrying about cake etc.

None of that means they dislike what you do.

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 21 Apr 2013 , 12:07am
post #12 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by sixinarow 

It always bothers me. I wish it didn't, but I'm a softy!

It could be jealousy...or... maybe they know how much time and effort you put into it, can't afford to pay you full price and don't want to ask for a discount because they respect you. I have a friend like that, even though I would gladly give her a discount, she won't take it because she knows the amount of time it takes away from my family! But then I have a SIL who refuses to eat the cake whe she comes to my kids birthday parties, just to hurt my feelings. My husband caught her eating a piece in another room, asked her how she liked it and she couldn't answer him because she shoved too much into her mouth! icon_biggrin.gif

It depends on the friend or family member..if you have a feeling they're doing it out of spite..you're probably right. icon_sad.gif

That is hysterical! oh, and what a bwitch!

cazza1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cazza1 Posted 21 Apr 2013 , 1:02am
post #13 of 15

I offered to do my SILs wedding cake and she politely said No.  I think she thought being a country girl that my cake would not match her very upmarket wedding.  I just smiled and had a laugh with hubby when the cake she had made was the same as the one all the decorators in my country town were winging about being sick to death of making.  I was also pleased that she didn't want me as I didn't have the stress or expense of making it and then carting the cake for 5 hours in the car.  I hadn't really wanted to do it but thought I should offer.

sixinarow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sixinarow Posted 21 Apr 2013 , 1:57am
post #14 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annabakescakes 

That is hysterical! oh, and what a bwitch!

She's a peach. I'm laughing on the inside every time I see her. icon_biggrin.gif

jenmat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenmat Posted 21 Apr 2013 , 3:11am
post #15 of 15

nah, I'm always glad. Unless they're getting married. Then i'd better be asked. But to not have to do a spiderman cake for cousin suzie's son? Yeah, I'm good with that. Then they want a discount and it takes a spot I could have given to a customer. 

Jaded....yeah :)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%