Mmf Hard After Drying

Decorating By mommyb Updated 17 Apr 2013 , 10:52am by mommyb

mommyb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommyb Posted 13 Apr 2013 , 5:48pm
post #1 of 4

I made MMF (just mm, water, ps) and after I made my decorations it dried hard. After putting them on the cake they softened up again (were place directly on the BC).

I did wrap the decorations in plastic wrap overnight. If I left them out (am I supposed to do that?) to air dry would the decorations have stayed hard after placing on the cake?

Another question: when do you want the MMF to be hard and when do you want it to be soft and pliable? I am going to try Rhonda's Ultimate MMF to cover a cake, so I know I want that to stay soft, but it seems like the hard kind can never be eaten. Do flowers and other decorations like that NEED to dry hard in order to hold shape? What about figurines? I have also seen circle cut-outs placed on top of cupcakes-what about those-hard or soft? And if the decorations need to stay hard, how is that done/can that be done with MMF?

Sorry if these are stupid questions--I just don't know what is normal or expected. :) Thanks!

3 replies
Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 13 Apr 2013 , 6:55pm
post #2 of 4

AYou can put up to 1/4 cup of butter or shortening in it, to make it pliable. To make it harden, you can add tylose powder, or cornstarch.

mommyb Posted 17 Apr 2013 , 10:51am
post #3 of 4

Thanks. I haven't made Rhonda's recipe yet but I guess it's supposed to be pretty pliable. How do I know if the decoration should be pliable or hard?

mommyb Posted 17 Apr 2013 , 10:52am
post #4 of 4

Thanks. I haven't made Rhonda's recipe yet but I guess it's supposed to be pretty pliable. How do I know if the decoration should be pliable or hard?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%