Help From Aussie Bakers,please,or Anyone Who Can, About White Chocolate Ganache

Decorating By meriam Updated 10 May 2013 , 9:40pm by meriam

meriam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
meriam Posted 12 Apr 2013 , 8:28pm
post #1 of 8

hi

i m a hobby baker and i would like to give a try to white choc ganache frosting for a wedding cake.

i ve already give a go to dark choc ganache,and i can t go back to buttercream,as this is so firm and so easy for me to put fondant on cakes,because where i live is so hot and humid that i used to have so much troubles with buttercream under fondant!!

well,i need to get a good recipe for the ganache to hold up in hot and humid weather;

i know australian bakers love to stick to choc ganache,so,can someone help me for a good recipe,and important tips to know about it?

thank you very much for your help

7 replies
Chellescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chellescakes Posted 12 Apr 2013 , 9:07pm
post #2 of 8

I usually use a three to one chocolate to cream ratio for white . If it is really hot and find it still a little soft you can add a little more chocolate. 

sweettreatsbysandra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreatsbysandra Posted 12 Apr 2013 , 10:51pm
post #3 of 8

yes same here! i use a 3:1 ratio (wc to heavy cream). i love white chocolate ganache as the flavour is more "neutral" and can  be used for different cakes. 

FrecklesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FrecklesCakes Posted 12 Apr 2013 , 11:27pm
post #4 of 8

Same as above :) 3:1 or 4:1 if weather is a hotter. I never have a problem with dark choc ganache, however white can sometimes separate a bit on me once set. I think good quality eating choc is a definite for both and it has seemed to work better if I don't over stir it when combining cream and choc. One of my friends use sour cream instead of cream with their white choc ganache as she doesn't like things so sweet.

meriam Posted 13 Apr 2013 , 3:35am
post #5 of 8

thank you all for your help

i thought to use 3:1 ratio,but with this weather,perhaps you re right,i should use 4:1.

it s quite a bit amount of chocolate!!!

what quantity of choc would you use for an 8inch cake ?(to get an idea)

anyway,it seems more tricky than dark choc,and i know the good quality is important,and i don t have any good white choc here.

another question,do you think i can freeze my cake filled and frosted with choc ganache(dark or white)?

i want to let it thaw in fridge for 24 to 48 h and then cover with fondant.

do you think it s ok to do that?

mac14 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mac14 Posted 13 Apr 2013 , 4:11am
post #6 of 8

Meriam i have been wondering the same thing about the freezing, hope someone can steer us in the right direction :)

allycrumbs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
allycrumbs Posted 7 May 2013 , 3:25am
post #7 of 8

Hi Meriam,

I've also recently started using ganache under fondant and I find that it works so much better than buttercream as it's very hot and humid where I am. I make choc ganache using a 2:1 ratio, which works fine, but I discovered that a 3:1 ratio white choc ganache is way too soft and squishy (yes that's a technical caking term icon_biggrin.gif) to hold shape, even after setting overnight. Putting it in the fridge may help, but I'd suggest trying a 4:1 ratio first, to save yourself the mess.

BTW, did you try to ganache -> freeze -> thaw -> fondant? If so, do let me know how it went thumbs_up.gif

Ally

meriam Posted 10 May 2013 , 9:40pm
post #8 of 8

thank you very much for sharing allycrumbs,i think a 4:1ratio is more appropriate,but as far as i can t get good quality white choc,i m not sure to try it now.i m still looking to find some  around,but i haven t yet,so i don t want to get a mess if i try with bad quality choc.

as for freezing,thawing ganache and covering with fondant,i need to do it for the end of May,so i ll let you know as soon as i can.(i hope it ll be ok,i m a bit afraid about it)

happy decorating

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%