Best Edible Frosting Sheets And Ink Cartidges For Canon Ip3600??!!?? Help!

Decorating By AlicesMadBatter Updated 10 Apr 2013 , 8:00pm by Crimsicle

AlicesMadBatter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AlicesMadBatter Posted 10 Apr 2013 , 5:55pm
post #1 of 3

Just bought a Canon ip3600 for $75 and want to give it a try for an upcoming cake next week.  I need to order ink cartridges and icing sheets as well as soon as possible. Wondering if www.icingimages.com is the best place to do so? The ink appears to be $75?  That seems high. I thought I had seen somewhere that the cost was comparable to regular printer ink, but I don't pay nearly that much for my regular printer.  Also, do I choose the refillable ink option?  It has been noted that that is the most cost effective method. Are these the best icing sheets as well? I know some have reported streaking on the cheapie icing sheets. Any advice for a newbie is much appreciated. 

2 replies
Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 10 Apr 2013 , 6:55pm
post #2 of 3

AUnfortunately, it is the best. I hate paying that much for them, but I do. I just don't push edible images, I have it for when I need it.

Crimsicle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crimsicle Posted 10 Apr 2013 , 8:00pm
post #3 of 3

That's the printer I have, and I love it!  It's the most reliable printer I've used with edible ink (this is the third model I've used...all of the Canons). 

I use Icing Images ink and highly recommend it.  I bought one set and have been refilling them.  They recommend refilling just 3 times, but honestly...since the ink doesn't all run out at the same time, I have no idea which colors have been refilled once or twice and which have been refilled more.  And they're going strong.  It's really easy with their refills.  You just pop out a little silicone plug, put the neck of the refill bottle in the hole and squeeze.  Replace the plug, and you're good to go.  Each color of refill ink has its own longneck filler spout.  It's really foolproof.

I am attaching a color test file that I print before I run any edible image sheets.  If all four colors are strong and complete, then I know it's ready.  If there are any holes in the color samples, then I know to do a cleaning.  Because I use the refill inks, I don't fret about "wasting" ink during the cleaning process.

I love getting creative with edible images.  It's great for  so much more than just photos.

Hope this helps!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%