Wedding Cake

Decorating By sugarhobbit Updated 12 Apr 2013 , 2:40pm by cakealicious7

sugarhobbit Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarhobbit Posted 9 Apr 2013 , 10:52pm
post #1 of 10

Hi

I have just made a 4 tier wedding cake and have iced the top 2 tiers together they will be travelling some distance so someone else will just stack them on the day.  I have made a cascading bouquet out of sugar flowers and in preperation alreafy inserted a flower pick.  I am feeling slightly nervous that when someone else tries to put the spray in it will be to heavy.  Any advice eg put some sugar paste in to make the bouquet stay in the pick or fondant ?? thanks

9 replies
suzannem5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suzannem5 Posted 10 Apr 2013 , 9:30am
post #2 of 10

When you say you have iced the top two tiers together, is the lower one dowelled and the upper one on it's own board?  Are they fruit cake and what height is the finished cake? Did you just roll out one big piece of icing and cover both cakes in one or are they both covered separately then dowelled and stacked together?

Have you inserted the flowers in the flower pick yourself to check that they sit ok then removed them?  If so, then there shouldn't be a problem with someone else doing what you've already done.  If I wanted to secure wired flowers in a flower pick I would use oasis fix or flowerpaste, sugarpaste is too soft and prone to cracking to hold the flowers securely but I would only do this if I was transporting the cake with the flowers in place - it wouldn't be necessary if you're putting the flowers in at the destination.

sugarhobbit Posted 10 Apr 2013 , 7:53pm
post #3 of 10

Hi there

Thank you for the reply.

I have iced each cake individually on there own boards I have put dowling in each cake as well.  I have had stacked cakes go long distances but with this being a 4 tier did not want to chance it.  I have also put a longer dowel in the 2 top cakes to give more stability.  I have made 10" 8" 6" and a 4" cake.

I have not had a problem with making wedding cakes it is just this is the longest cascade of flowers I have made.  About 17" long and they are heavy.  Yes I tried them in the pick however my husband being an engineer had to alter the wires as the bend was curved instead of a hook like shape.  I did have to repair the cake as the icing ripped slightly with the weight of the flowers. They are really beautiful flowers.  I am going to have another go putting them in the pick again just to double check:)  yes thanks for the tip of not using fondant in the pick.

Thanks

Mel

suzannem5 Posted 11 Apr 2013 , 8:54am
post #4 of 10

Hi Mel

Sounds like you've done everything you should, I understand you not wanting to take all 4 tiers stacked on a long journey.

Would it have been possible to wire the flowers in two, or even three lots, inserted into separate picks, it would mean that the top pick isn't supporting the whole cascade?

sugarhobbit Posted 11 Apr 2013 , 8:47pm
post #5 of 10

Ahi there.

thank you for your suggestions and yes if anyone else asks me to do cascading flowers iwill do them in stages. but it is what the people wanted. my friend who is a trained florist usually puts things together for me however she had an injury so a good learning curve for me!!!! can you put photos on here so i could show you. just got bk into doing this lovely hobby again. thanks

sugarhobbit Posted 11 Apr 2013 , 8:51pm
post #7 of 10
suzannem5 Posted 12 Apr 2013 , 9:41am
post #8 of 10

Your flowers are beautiful and well done for arranging them so well.  Hope everything goes well with the cake.

sugarhobbit Posted 12 Apr 2013 , 9:47am
post #9 of 10

A[IMG]http://cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/2976893/width/200/height/400[/IMG] bingo!!! just put it all together i need not have worried and i have got sme of that oasis fix just to be ob the safe side. thank you i will use this when i need to. i hope the bride will love her cake!!!! x

cakealicious7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakealicious7 Posted 12 Apr 2013 , 2:40pm
post #10 of 10

AThat really is amazing! You truly are talented.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%