Need Help With Wedding Ring Mold

Decorating By vpaz24 Updated 8 Apr 2013 , 1:31am by vpaz24

vpaz24 Posted 7 Apr 2013 , 10:39pm
post #1 of 3

Hi There,

I just bought a wedding ring mold that I want to use for my niece's bridal shower cake.  I'm having an issue removing the excess gum paste from the back of the mold.  The band part of the mold is a bit shallow so, every time I try and remove the excess by scraping my offset spatula across the back, it pulls the gum past up out of the mold.  Does anyone have any suggestion/tips on how do to remove the excess in a more efficient way?  I've attached a picture of the mold.


2 replies
Omas Cakes Posted 8 Apr 2013 , 1:07am
post #2 of 3

AI had this problem before too. I used less gum paste, pushed it into the mold, and the little bit that went over gently push back onto itself. Smooth it down slightly, take a sharp knife with a thin blade (I used a boning knife) lay it across the entire mold, and cut the excess off with the blade at a slight angle using a sawing motion, carefully. It worked perfectly. HTH

vpaz24 Posted 8 Apr 2013 , 1:31am
post #3 of 3

AThank you. I will try that. I was using quite a bit of gum paste so I will try and use less.

Quote by @%username% on %date%