Edible Fish Bowl Help

Sugar Work By PernesePhoenix Updated 6 Apr 2013 , 11:03pm by -K8memphis

PernesePhoenix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PernesePhoenix Posted 6 Apr 2013 , 5:44am
post #1 of 2

So I am trying to make an edible fish bowl that my rice krispy and fondant fish will sit upon.  My first trial attempt at sugar glass worked fairly well at first.  I used the sugar, cream of tartar, and light veg. oil recipe, and it worked well. I burnt the sugar a little so the blusih bowl became green, something I will have to watch for my next attempt.  And I had the bowl out on the counter to see how long it would last in Florida humidity inside my apartment, and itslumped in about an hour.

The problem is the bowl will be on display inside of a building for 45 minutes, and then will be placed outside to be judged by the public.  Does anyone have any hints or tips that could help me make sure that my bowl dosen't end up looking like an ashtray made in a kindergarten pottery class?

Also what would be the harm of filling the bowl with cooled blue gelatin to look like water?  Would that increase the rate of water absorption, or would it mitigate it since it would be pulling it from the jello more than the air?

1 reply
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 6 Apr 2013 , 11:03pm
post #2 of 2

isomalt is sturdier than sugar for something like this and it stays clear better--tough on the tummy if you eat too much but...

i would not use jello like that myself--maybe a colored gelatin sheet would work--but for something like this i would try & use the same medium

is there any way to make 'water' out of the sugar???

are you making the bowl in two pieces and joining them together?

you could make 'water' the same way--tint it blue and make sure it will fit inside the fish bowl like a liner

you could make a piece to fit across the top too so it looks solid

maybe

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%