Realistic Jellyfish "tentacles"

Decorating By kitten_britches Updated 5 Apr 2013 , 9:58am by kitten_britches

kitten_britches Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kitten_britches Posted 5 Apr 2013 , 2:16am
post #1 of 6

Hi all! I am making a jellyfish cake for a little girl who wants to be a marine biologist and I am hoping to get the tentacles as realistic as possible. I was thinking maybe gelatine as they seem somewhat translucent? Any ideas how I might go about this? I prefer not to use things that arent edible on my cakes........Any ideas would be most appreciated!

KB

5 replies
Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 5 Apr 2013 , 2:36am
post #2 of 6

AThat sounds cool, but how would you do it? I did one and just ruffled gum paste. Let me see if I can find it....

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 5 Apr 2013 , 4:00am
post #3 of 6

APulled sugar or isomalt perhaps?

Crazy-Gray Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crazy-Gray Posted 5 Apr 2013 , 7:32am
post #4 of 6

How about those giant long marshmallow things? you could mirror their soft colours in the body? They'd be way easier to handle and attach than gelatin or jelly/jello.

(marshmallow cables aparently!)

manddi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
manddi Posted 5 Apr 2013 , 9:44am
post #5 of 6

AI love the idea of using Gelatin but I'm with Annabakescakes; I can't think of a way to make it work. My vote is pulled sugar. It's really pretty and wouldn't be too hard to create tentacles. Just make a lot more than you need! It breaks easily!

If you've never worked with pulled sugar there is a craftsy.com class on it; worth every penny if you've never played with it before!

kitten_britches Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kitten_britches Posted 5 Apr 2013 , 9:58am
post #6 of 6

Heyhi all :) I know if you make gelatine super strong it makes a rubber-like substance, but yeah, have no idea how I would get it to look all ruffly...... I am thinking pulled sugar is going to be my best bet, as I really want to keep that translucent look to it... thanks guys! keep you posted!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%