6 Inch Pillow Cake?

Decorating By Claire138 Updated 8 Apr 2013 , 5:27am by Claire138

Claire138 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Claire138 Posted 3 Apr 2013 , 8:01pm
post #1 of 14

Hi all,

I've been asked to make a 6 inch pillow cake with a tiara on top and I'm wondering if anyone has done one of these? it will be on its own so I'm worried that it will look really small.

I've made one of these before but it was a 9 inch one so looked right if you know what I mean, I'm just worried bc the 6 inch pans seem so small for such a cake.

Any thoughts?

13 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 3 Apr 2013 , 8:39pm
post #2 of 14

sure--keep everything in proportion

the tiara should be about 3 to 3.5 inches across the bottom -- flaring out at the top--and don't make it any grander than the pillow is

this sort of sounds like you knew what size was needed and they cut the serving amount down to lower the price?? maybe??

maybe not--i'm all jaded huh icon_biggrin.gif

but don't make it bigger unless they pay!!! i might be jaded i ain't stupid too icon_lol.gif

Claire138 Posted 3 Apr 2013 , 8:44pm
post #3 of 14

You hit the nail on the head - they want it smaller bc they don't want to pay for the bigger sized oneicon_sad.gif I'm pretty bummed about it bc I really don't know how this is going to turn out, I've googled for images but somehow in the photos they don't seem as small as my 6 inch pans do when I look at them! 

ddaigle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ddaigle Posted 3 Apr 2013 , 8:44pm
post #4 of 14

I did a 6x6 on a 10" round.  Dang that posted bit..  Anyway...I cheated on the crown and bought it...but you can see the size of the crown in regards to the pillow.    Because I did some carving, it fit on the 10" round.

Pillow is a fondant covered 8x8 (carved).   Bottom tier is a 10" butter cream cake with fondant accents.   I hate that I didn't take more pictures.    There are lots of hearts and butterflies all around the cake.

Claire138 Posted 3 Apr 2013 , 8:47pm
post #5 of 14

The problem I have with this is that it will be on it's own, I wouldn't worry if it were to go on top of a larger cake, I'm just worried that it will look really small (and stupid) on its lonesome. Btw your cake is really pretty.

-K8memphis Posted 3 Apr 2013 , 8:59pm
post #6 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire138 

You hit the nail on the head - they want it smaller bc they don't want to pay for the bigger sized oneicon_sad.gif I'm pretty bummed about it bc I really don't know how this is going to turn out, I've googled for images but somehow in the photos they don't seem as small as my 6 inch pans do when I look at them! 

so long as you have described it to them (the tightwads ;) that it will be a petite cake--jusr a bit larger than a quarter sheet of paper

you're off the hook--no worries

it will look great in pictures because you can't tell size unless there's a coke can or something identifiable in the picture to gauge it with

no worries and don't cave!!!

also you might want to consider a minimum order dollar amount

so you could go sure i can do that for five servings--it's the same price because i have a minimum for sculptures of $150

i mean you have to be diplomatic but... you might want to consider this so peeps don't continue to do this--it's the same amount of work, gf!!!

Claire138 Posted 3 Apr 2013 , 9:12pm
post #7 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by -K8memphis 

so long as you have described it to them (the tightwads ;) that it will be a petite cake--jusr a bit larger than a quarter sheet of paper

you're off the hook--no worries

it will look great in pictures because you can't tell size unless there's a coke can or something identifiable in the picture to gauge it with

no worries and don't cave!!!

also you might want to consider a minimum order dollar amount

so you could go sure i can do that for five servings--it's the same price because i have a minimum for sculptures of $150

i mean you have to be diplomatic but... you might want to consider this so peeps don't continue to do this--it's the same amount of work, gf!!!

You're right (about everything)!

I have explained to them that it will be small but I don't think they realize just how small which is also worrying me. Plus, they tried to bargain me down but I just couldn't (I've given in so many times and then hate myself) I even told them that I don't usually make this size cake on its own bc it's not viable, I explained to him that just bc I'm using less flour, sugar and eggs doesn't lessen the time  I have to spend on the decoration; he was really nice afterwards and even apologized saying he's sure no one can understand how much work goes into cakes like these (he got that right). The only reason I originally said yes to this size was bc they were going to take 2 6 inch cakes so I figured ok but then said they didn't want the other one but would take this one. 

I do like the idea of $150 for 5 servingsicon_biggrin.gif

-K8memphis Posted 3 Apr 2013 , 9:23pm
post #8 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire138 

You're right (about everything)!

I have explained to them that it will be small but I don't think they realize just how small which is also worrying me. Plus, they tried to bargain me down but I just couldn't (I've given in so many times and then hate myself) I even told them that I don't usually make this size cake on its own bc it's not viable, I explained to him that just bc I'm using less flour, sugar and eggs doesn't lessen the time  I have to spend on the decoration; he was really nice afterwards and even apologized saying he's sure no one can understand how much work goes into cakes like these (he got that right). The only reason I originally said yes to this size was bc they were going to take 2 6 inch cakes so I figured ok but then said they didn't want the other one but would take this one. 

yeah --for real--it's that whole i hate myself...again...and again...and again...!

once you go through that enough you are bullet proof...kinda sorta for the most part icon_biggrin.gif

a six inch square is a respectable size--petite but respectable--don't worry about it--it's cool

make a teensy tiara--and i hope you can put it in an appropriately sized box

a  9" or 10" box depending on how big your bottom board

Quote:

I do like the idea of $150 for 5 servingsicon_biggrin.gif

<high five>  icon_biggrin.gif

ddaigle Posted 3 Apr 2013 , 10:28pm
post #9 of 14

Ohhhhhhhhhhhh....I didn't know they wanted the pillow all by itself!! Well...........that changes things.    Maybe if there is other "stuff"on the board around the pillow so it doesn't look so lonely...........and small!   

Claire138 Posted 4 Apr 2013 , 5:53am
post #10 of 14

I thought about that, thanks everyone for your help, I will post a photo once done. Here goes.................

Claire138 Posted 7 Apr 2013 , 5:24pm
post #11 of 14

Ok, so here it is

THanks for all your help,

ddaigle Posted 7 Apr 2013 , 7:17pm
post #12 of 14

Great job!    Bet she loved it!

kazita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kazita Posted 7 Apr 2013 , 8:46pm
post #13 of 14

A

Original message sent by Claire138

Ok, so here it is

THanks for all your help,

[ATTACHMENT=623]i.jpg (864k. jpg file)[/ATTACHMENT]

Adorable cake hopefully they paid you what its worth.

Claire138 Posted 8 Apr 2013 , 5:27am
post #14 of 14

They loved it, thanks!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%