Can I Cover A Strawberry Shortcake In Fondant?

Decorating By Keighlinsmom Updated 2 Apr 2013 , 11:29pm by Annabakescakes

Keighlinsmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Keighlinsmom Posted 2 Apr 2013 , 9:54pm
post #1 of 5

I have been asked to make a two tier cake for 80 people. They want a strawberry shortcake and covered in fondant. Can this be done?

Any good receipes for the shortcake?

4 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 2 Apr 2013 , 10:41pm
post #2 of 5

Maybe strawberry shortcake is different where you come from.  Here, it's served in a bowl, has a split biscuit or scone filled with macerated sliced berries and extra juice, then topped with whipped cream.

ddaigle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ddaigle Posted 2 Apr 2013 , 10:47pm
post #3 of 5

If  you are talking about a cake filled & iced with fresh strawberries mixed with whipped icing.. then...no....do not cover it in fondant.

I'm with Leah....I only know "shortcake" as those spongy round discs you can buy in a 4-pack....covered in milk, strawberries & whipped cream.  

lesucreaufour Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lesucreaufour Posted 2 Apr 2013 , 11:17pm
post #4 of 5

I don't think you can...strawberry shortcake is way to soft and wouldn't be able to hold the fondant...and the fresh strawberry in the middle...not good! You would have to make it the same day you need it....or the day before (since fresh strawberry tends to liquify).

If you try it, let us know if it works :)

Good luck

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 2 Apr 2013 , 11:29pm
post #5 of 5

AI do a "strawberry shortcake" flavor that is white cake with just egg whites, and strawberry jam filling, and whipped topping mix.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%