Meringue Buttercream Problems. Please Help!

Decorating By grumpycakes Updated 23 Mar 2013 , 7:40pm by grumpycakes

grumpycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grumpycakes Posted 23 Mar 2013 , 4:54am
post #1 of 4

I whisked my egg whites and sugar over a double boiler til they reached 160. Now I am whipping the mixture in my bosch. Its been a long time, and it is beautiful, glossy goo- not stiff peaks. Any chance at rescuing it?

Prompt help would be so appreciated!

3 replies
KathleenC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KathleenC Posted 23 Mar 2013 , 6:46am
post #2 of 4

It's possible that you had some fat/oil/grease residue either in your bowl or on your mixer wisk.  I always wipe my wisk attachment, my bowl, and any other stuff that will come in contact with the meringue with lemon juice to make sure they're grease free.  I've been lucky I haven't had the same thing happen.  icon_smile.gif

Here's another thread where someone else had the same problem:

http://cakecentral.com/t/755981/meringue-buttercream-problems-please-help

yortma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yortma Posted 23 Mar 2013 , 10:09am
post #3 of 4

I'm sure this is way too late too help, but it can take a while to cool and get stiff peaks, depending on the room  temperature.  Use the whisk attachment of course, and relatively high speed.  The bigger the batch, the longer it takes.  Possibly 10 - 15 minutes.  Also as stated above, any grease will deflate the whites.  Make sure not even a speck of yolk gets in.  I have also found that when I use carton whites instead of fresh, the peaks aren't as stiff, but it still works just fine.  If you don't mind risking a few cubes of butter, add it it in and it may still work.  

grumpycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grumpycakes Posted 23 Mar 2013 , 7:40pm
post #4 of 4

Thanks.... I gave up and put it in the fridge. I will keep trying now. If nothing else, I might try adding some powdered sugar to stiffen it....

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%