First Impressions Baby Molds...

Decorating By BettyCrocker77 Updated 22 Mar 2013 , 1:02am by Margaret393

BettyCrocker77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BettyCrocker77 Posted 21 Mar 2013 , 10:53pm
post #1 of 4

Hello,

I'm new to the forum and very excited to be starting my new hobby, cake decorating!

I've recently purchased two "First Impressions" baby molds. My problem being that the finish babies starts to crack. I'm currently mixing equal parts of gum paste and fondant. How can I keep the babies from cracking while drying? How long do they take to fully dry? Should I wait a period of time before finishing them with pearl/luster dust?

Thanks in advance for your time and consideration.

Joyfully yours,

BettyCrocker77

3 replies
idgalpal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
idgalpal Posted 21 Mar 2013 , 10:57pm
post #2 of 4

I use 100% fondant, pop the mold in the freezer fro a few minutes and I've never had a problem with cracking

BettyCrocker77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BettyCrocker77 Posted 21 Mar 2013 , 11:25pm
post #3 of 4

I used 100% fondant earlier but once I took it out of the freezer and let it sit it started to almost melt. I don't know how long it takes for fondant to completely dry, how long do you let your fondant dry before putting a finish on it.

Margaret393 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Margaret393 Posted 22 Mar 2013 , 12:53am
post #4 of 4

Hi BettyCrocker77

Silicone Moulds are easy to use provided you select the correct paste, and its of the right consistency. I too have used the First Impressions baby mould No1, and glad to say that I was happy with the final results - following a few failed attempts! I also used equal parts of flower paste and fondant which was reccommended -  mixed well together. You will know its ready, when you hear a snapping sound, as you pull the prepared paste apart. Over handling makes it too soft to manage, and one might be tempted at that stage to add some cornstarch or icing sugar to rectify the consistency.

Let the paste rest a hour or so before use. then knead it again until its smooth and pliable - and free from any cracks. Lightly rub a little crisco around inside of mould.  Take a piece of paste and roll it with your hands - and then push paste down into mould, ensuring that the paste reaches all the little crevices, for example the tiny feet!. Pop it into the freezer then, for approx 5 min which is enough time for this size - too long and the figure will appear to sweat, at room temperature! ( I have been there done that!)

By the way where do the cracks appear on the sugar baby? Just wondering if they are usually in the same place. You will find that the more practice you do, the easier it gets, hence the better the results!

If you would like to see an example of my last attempt - have a look at "Baby in a Sunflower" christening cake topper - in my baby shower photos album on Cake Central.

Good luck with your new moulds, you will delighted that you have them. Enjoy!

Hope this helps!

Margaret393

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%