Aussie Tastings?

Business By ashleabrowncake Updated 27 Mar 2013 , 7:15am by ashleabrowncake

ashleabrowncake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ashleabrowncake Posted 20 Mar 2013 , 2:37am
post #1 of 3

AHello fellow Aussies Just wondering what the norm is when it comes to wedding cake tastings? Do you charge a little to cover costs or not? I know the big cakers like Planet Cake do ($100 for an appointment!!) but what about the average Joe?

I have done a few wedding cakes, and have had a huge leap in inquiries, and I am thinking a tasting day may be in order. I have a plan almost formed on how to run this, just not sure about charging.

2 replies
noosalucy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
noosalucy Posted 26 Mar 2013 , 6:21am
post #2 of 3

Tasting days are definitely a great idea.

I'm based on the Sunshine Coast and don't get a lot of requests for tastings (usually from my interstate bides who are from cities).  If I do get requests, I do 2 tastings for free and charge for any above that (the cost gets taken off if the bride books with me).

As cake decorators generally agree, tastings are for customer to get an idea of whether you make a nice cake or not, rather than tasting each of your flavours to see which they like best!

ashleabrowncake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ashleabrowncake Posted 27 Mar 2013 , 7:15am
post #3 of 3

AThank you Noosalucy. I have sent out an email to the dozen or so brides that I have had requests from, and most of them are coming to a tasting and design appointment. I have read through a few older posts and decided to offer 3 of my most popular cakes at the apointment and a package of different cupcakes to take with them. I have told them that the appointment will incur a small charge of $10, but if they then book with me it will be deducted from the price of their cake. I hope it will stop anyone who already knows they wont book with me wasting my time, but hopefully not so high that the others don't want to come (which I don't think it has as most have made an appointment). it won't cover my costs for the day, but it won't cause it to be so costly that I will really be needing them all to book. I have done a couple of wedding cakes, but this day will be a big learning curve for me as well, so I am a little nervous

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%