"about" Page On Website

Business By CrumbsCakeryEV Updated 18 Mar 2013 , 7:47pm by CrumbsCakeryEV

CrumbsCakeryEV Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CrumbsCakeryEV Posted 18 Mar 2013 , 3:09pm
post #1 of 8

Hello everyone,

I have been in business with my Cakery now for one year. When I first started, my sister also opened a cakery in the town she lives in. We started up together to share ideas and advertising costs, etc. She is the one who wrote the blurb for our "About" page on the website I designed. She is no longer in business due to family issues and I now feel like it's time for me to change that page.

Currently it sounds "professional" but "impersonal". It's not really "me".... I am leaning towards writing a short story about ME and how I came to making cakes... sort of blog style with some humor.

What are your thoughts on the 2 styles? If you were looking for a wedding cake or celebration cake, would you rather read something professional or would you rather "get to know" the cake designer?!

7 replies
handymama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
handymama Posted 18 Mar 2013 , 3:25pm
post #2 of 8

Your "About" page introduces you to your clients and therefore needs to be representation of who you are.

Smckinney07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Smckinney07 Posted 18 Mar 2013 , 3:51pm
post #3 of 8

AThat's right, it should truly represent who you are. Look at all the cake decorating shows on tv (or even the cooking shows), some are covered with tattoos, have spiky hair, etc. We all have our favorites right, because we either relate or admire their own personal style.

They are just regular people like us, and as a decorator myself I like to think there is an art to what we do. Of course you should be professional (which I'm sure you are) in a way we are 'selling' ourselves, if they like your work and your product they'll order from you. If they like you, they'll come back!

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 18 Mar 2013 , 3:57pm
post #4 of 8

A

Original message sent by CrumbsCakeryEV

Currently it sounds "professional" but "impersonal". It's not really "me".... I am leaning towards writing a short story about ME and how I came to making cakes... sort of blog style with some humor.

What are your thoughts on the 2 styles? If you were looking for a wedding cake or celebration cake, would you rather read something professional or would you rather "get to know" the cake designer?!

Why not include both?

The About page could have a professional "about the company" section as well as a more personal "about me" section.

DeliciousDesserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeliciousDesserts Posted 18 Mar 2013 , 3:59pm
post #5 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by handymama 

Your "About" page introduces you to your clients and therefore needs to be representation of who you are.

SugaredSaffron Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugaredSaffron Posted 18 Mar 2013 , 4:21pm
post #6 of 8

'A representation of who you are' is vague, as a person, as a business or what? I don't have an about page on my site, but I'm not keen on the very clinical 3rd person ones or the baked with love, smelt granny baking when I was in the womb ones either.

I would write one thinking about who your target audience is and what you think they'd like to read or know about you. Not too many jokes because it looks unprofessional, but not too serious or people might be put off. Nowadays photographers get away with some quite informal about me pages and their professionalism is seen in their images and the quality of the site. Whereas you hardly ever read a funny or witty about me on a bespoke dress designers site because that's not what people are looking to read.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 18 Mar 2013 , 4:34pm
post #7 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by SugaredSaffron 

'A representation of who you are' is vague, as a person, as a business or what? I don't have an about page on my site, but I'm not keen on the very clinical 3rd person ones or the baked with love, smelt granny baking when I was in the womb ones either.

icon_lol.gif

CrumbsCakeryEV Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CrumbsCakeryEV Posted 18 Mar 2013 , 7:47pm
post #8 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason_kraft 

Why not include both?

The About page could have a professional "about the company" section as well as a more personal "about me" section.

I like the idea of having both! Thanks :)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%