How Many Cake Pans Can Be Baked At One Time?

Decorating By NatalieD11 Updated 15 Mar 2013 , 2:11pm by NatalieD11

NatalieD11 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NatalieD11 Posted 15 Mar 2013 , 5:59am
post #1 of 10

AHi. I am new to this forum and also pretty new to cake baking too. I took some Wilton decorating classes and read a lot about cakes lately. I would like to make a 2 tiered cake, 8&6 in. My question is if I should bake all 4 layers at the same time? (2 8-in pans and 2 6-in pans). I think I can fit all 4 in 1 rack. My oven is not convection.

Thanks, Natalie

9 replies
AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 15 Mar 2013 , 6:10am
post #2 of 10

I shove as many as I can in. 

NatalieD11 Posted 15 Mar 2013 , 6:18am
post #3 of 10

AThank you for replying AZCouture. Do you take the small ones out first and let the bigger ones in there for more baking time or you take them all out at the same time?

suzied Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suzied Posted 15 Mar 2013 , 6:21am
post #4 of 10

Wont the 6" pans bake before the 8"?. Do you get them out and continue to bake the 8".  Would love to know. thanks.

IAmPamCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IAmPamCakes Posted 15 Mar 2013 , 6:30am
post #5 of 10

AOf course you take each pan out of the oven as they are done.

NatalieD11 Posted 15 Mar 2013 , 11:58am
post #6 of 10

AFor those who don't have a convection oven, do you have any problem with uneven baking when using multiple racks?

Roseyrod Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Roseyrod Posted 15 Mar 2013 , 12:41pm
post #7 of 10

I wouldn't bake more than 2 pans that fit on one rack at the same time. I also need to know that they are at least 2 inches apart from each other and 2 inches from the sides of the oven.  I also do not open up up the oven door as the cake is baking.  I just turn on the oven light and looked through the window. I wait for the alotted time before I open up the oven to check for doneness.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 15 Mar 2013 , 1:23pm
post #8 of 10

I break all the rules, but I baker in convection.  I cram as many pans in as will fit.  And if I want to look in I open the door ands look, take cakes out, put new pans in, etc. 

I will never forget one day at the bakery when two students were standing at the open door of the rotating oven, watching in rapt fascination as the racks of cakes went round and round.

kikiandkyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kikiandkyle Posted 15 Mar 2013 , 1:26pm
post #9 of 10

I have both of my racks in the two center positions of the oven, so if I load up both shelves they still cook fine. I do open the oven to take the smaller ones out when they're done, the bigger ones are usually almost done at that point anyway. But I open the oven very carefully to minimize the cold air intake, that might have something to do with it.

NatalieD11 Posted 15 Mar 2013 , 2:11pm
post #10 of 10

ARoseyrod: thank you! That is what I've been doing but now I try my hands in tiered cakes, I'd like to see if there are better options.

Leah_s, IAmPamCakes, kikiandkyle: thanks. It is nice to know the options.I will bake them at the same time then.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%