8", 6", 4" Pillar Cake

Decorating By wvfunchick Updated 14 Mar 2013 , 7:28am by CWR41

wvfunchick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wvfunchick Posted 14 Mar 2013 , 4:06am
post #1 of 5

I need to do an 8", 6", and 4" cake with pillars.  Is this possible? And do you charge more for the pillars? 

4 replies
handymama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
handymama Posted 14 Mar 2013 , 4:44am
post #2 of 5

You mean pillars separating each tier? This is a very outdated style and with an 8/6/4 would create a very narrow, tall cake that it seems would be rather odd-looking. To answer your question, I'm not aware of any 4" plates. That would leave you using a 6" for the top tier, which would just take everything from bad to worse.

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 14 Mar 2013 , 5:19am
post #3 of 5

Of course you would charge more for the pillars, it's an extra expense for you right? Pass it on to the customer with appropriate markup. And handymama is right on the money with what she describes about how it will look.

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 14 Mar 2013 , 5:28am
post #4 of 5

NO! not possible at all! YUCK! Handymama is correct, I have never seen a plate smaller than 6" and they are very brittle, so there is no cutting it, and the pillars would be too close to the edge, if you could. Impossible! 

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 14 Mar 2013 , 7:28am
post #5 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by wvfunchick 

Is this possible? And do you charge more for the pillars? 

Yes (it can be done even though it makes for a too tall and towering look).  First of all, you don't have to use plates -- tier boards can sit upon pillars...

1.  if you glue pillar caps to the underside of the board, or

2.  use double-sided tape, or

3.  place on top (not recommened) and hope the table doesn't get bumped!

Secondly, that's why odd-sized plates are available.  I wouldn't attempt with single-plate separators -- the double-plate separator systems work best to avoid internal pillars from piercing the tiers too close to the outer edge.  The 6" cake goes on a 7" double-plate system (which fits on the 8" cake).  For the 4" cake... if you cut the scalloped edges off of the 6" plates with a bandsaw, you'll have 5.5" plates that will just fit on the 6" cake.

I agree -- it's outdated and not so visually appealing, but that's how it's done.

As always, charge a deposit if you want them back (reusable), plus an optional rental fee, or

charge purchase price (disposable), plus optional markup (although in this case, since you'd use double-plate systems, I don't believe they are marketed as "disposable"),

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%