How To Get People To Buy Cakes From Me??

Decorating By Rodriguez-km Updated 14 Mar 2013 , 1:52pm by Rodriguez-km

Rodriguez-km Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rodriguez-km Posted 14 Mar 2013 , 2:03am
post #1 of 4

So I've been baking for a couple years now, still not an expert but practicing, and I feel confident enough to start selling. I make cakes for close family members and holidays, but no one from "outside" has tried my cakes or even know I bake. I would like to know what you guys recommend me to do to get "known." First i thought about doing something like a cake tasting? Not sure if that would work and how I would do it, then I thought about a bake sale.

Plase give me ideas as how to get people to try my cakes, other than offering them and just waiting for someone to ask me for one!

Thanks!!

3 replies
melanie-1221 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melanie-1221 Posted 14 Mar 2013 , 2:27am
post #2 of 4

First , make sure you are compliant with your states food laws.

Then, what worked for me was making cakes for friends and family. I took a cake to every event, I made everyones wedding cakes, birthday cakes, shower cakes and from those cakes I would get inquiries from other attendees and friends.

I take photos of all of my cakes and post to facebook, friends share them on their walls if they like them, then I get inquiries from their friends also.

I donate cake to large fundraisers. ~It gives me practice, and it gets my name out there to a lot of people.

There are a lot of ways to do you, just keep trying until you find what works for you.

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 14 Mar 2013 , 2:47am
post #3 of 4

AThe first step to launching a business is writing a business plan, which will help you figure out what kind of products you will be making, how much those products will cost you (including license fees, insurance, and commercial kitchen rental fees if applicable), how much to charge, how to set yourself apart from the competition, who you will be targeting, and where to reach them. Once you write a business plan you will have a much better idea of what to do.

A good start to writing a business plan can be found here: http://www.bplans.com/

Rodriguez-km Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rodriguez-km Posted 14 Mar 2013 , 1:52pm
post #4 of 4

Thanks to both! And I will do a business plan thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%