How Do You Cut A Cake With Supports In It?

Decorating By Beki516 Updated 14 Mar 2013 , 5:06am by CWR41

Beki516 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Beki516 Posted 13 Mar 2013 , 11:14pm
post #1 of 4

So, I'm making my first four-tier cake, and I wanted to make sure it had structural support. It is actually a TARDIS... earlier today, I discovered that a lot of people have already done this! Neat!

So it will be four cakes, 4inx4in and about 2in tall. I went to a local cake decorating store and asked about dowels. They suggested a straw. It is fairly wide considering the cake is only 4"x4", but ok. Then I thought about how we were going to CUT this sucker. Do you guys cut around dowels and straws? Take them out before cutting?

I'm also wondering  about how deep to cut... if I cut from top to bottom, the cake will get progressively thinner and less stable. I know-- or at least, I think-- for tier cakes with different tier sizes, you cut and serve one tier at a time, but those are iced or covered separately, and my tardis will have fondant panels going down the entire length. Any recommendations...? Has anyone done a tower-type cake (or even a TARDIS!) that could give me some tips?

(Just fyi, I'm totally amateur, started making a few geeky cakes two years ago and pick up techniques from internet searches from cake to cake...)

3 replies
CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 14 Mar 2013 , 4:38am
post #2 of 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beki516 
Take them out before cutting?

Yes.  You are suppose to use a support system for every 4" of cake height, so you'd cut through the first 4" all the way to the board in the middle of your 8" tall cake.

Beki516 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Beki516 Posted 14 Mar 2013 , 4:54am
post #3 of 4

Ah... I had wondered if I should use a board or something in the middle. I was told to put this one tall straw down through all eight inches. What sort of board, a thin cake board? How would I remove the straw from the fondanted cake?

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 14 Mar 2013 , 5:06am
post #4 of 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beki516 

What sort of board, a thin cake board? How would I remove the straw from the fondanted cake?

Corrugated cake board.  When the board is removed to serve the bottom 4" of cake, you'll see the supports -- pull them out.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%