Red Velvet And Frost Disaster

Decorating By Nornni Updated 14 Mar 2013 , 4:18am by Nornni

Nornni Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nornni Posted 13 Mar 2013 , 8:25am
post #1 of 5

AHad a red velvet birthday cake in short time to make,read up many article online, and tried out their recipe, my cake turned out not fluFfy,though not so firm,had a chocolate taste while the frost was worst, didn't come out smooth didn't get cream cheese here ended up with making a frost with flour mixed with milk, then creamed ,butter,sugar,vanilla.ended up having lumps in my frost caused by the mixture of flour and milk.infact it was a real disaster..need help

4 replies
scrumdiddlycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scrumdiddlycakes Posted 13 Mar 2013 , 9:01am
post #2 of 5

My favourite frosting is the flour and milk frosting.

I'm assuming you used the recipe that is 1 cup of milk cooked with 4 tablespoons of flour, whisked over heat until thick, then cooled. Cream 1 cup butter and 1 cup granulated sugar, then mix in flour/milk paste and beat until fluffy and smooth?
It is really important that it is completely cool before mixing it into the butter and sugar.

Then you have to beat it on high for a long time, I usually have it going 10 minutes for a regular sized batch. If your flour and milk mixture is lumpy, sieve it before cooling. I've never had the recipe not turn out.

Was your recipe different?

Nornni Posted 13 Mar 2013 , 12:54pm
post #3 of 5

AIt actually turned into a mold.mean, the flour and milk paste, whisked over direct heat.

scrumdiddlycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scrumdiddlycakes Posted 13 Mar 2013 , 3:17pm
post #4 of 5

Once it is cool, it should be a gelatinous blob, for lack of a better word, lol.

Sort of rubbery, and holds it's shape when you take it out of the dish it's been cooling in.

You just put that into the butter, (I usually do it a little at a time), and beat on high til it's all incorporated.

It will get really grainy and thick at first, but the longer you beat it the fluffier it gets, and a lot lighter in colour.

Nornni Posted 14 Mar 2013 , 4:18am
post #5 of 5

AThanks,will give it a try again,and post the outcome.I guess I had problem making in large quantity I mean the frost.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%