Scared About Freshness. What Day To Bake And Decorate?

Decorating By rosiecake Updated 4 Jun 2013 , 4:42am by vgcea

rosiecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rosiecake Posted 10 Mar 2013 , 1:32pm
post #1 of 9

AHelp! I'm stressing because I'm not sure what day to do things. If others could tell me what they do u can get an idea.

I am using several packet mixes. I have Monday, tues, wed. Thursday is pickup so that day I won't have any touch up time, but the parties in Friday.

I will be baking, buttercream Center, white choc ganache over the top, then fondant and decorating the top.

I stress with timing and freshness. I always worry :( hellp.

8 replies
mcaulir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcaulir Posted 11 Mar 2013 , 6:51am
post #2 of 9

Bake whenever you like and freeze the cakes. Decorate a few days ahead if you want to. If you don't want to freeze, it will be fine if you bake on Monday or Tuesday. Cake keeps fine for a couple of days.

rosiecake Posted 11 Mar 2013 , 10:28am
post #3 of 9

AI once made baked and decorated a cake on Monday for Thursday, they ate it on Friday and told me the buttercream Center was curdled.

Do you think if I bake and decorate on Tuesday and leave out if the fridge it will be okay for Friday?

triciagoth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
triciagoth Posted 11 Mar 2013 , 10:32am
post #4 of 9

if pick up is late in the day, i decorate from early in the morning, having baked the night before and left to cool thoroughly overnight, with clingfilm covering when i go to bed just to keep it fresh. i tend to cook in the evening to give it adaquate time to cool completely, saves me hanging around for hours waiting.  

mcaulir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcaulir Posted 11 Mar 2013 , 10:56am
post #5 of 9

Why not use ganache in the centre as well, then you don't need to worry. That stuff lasts for weeks on the bench.

n8rd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
n8rd Posted 11 Mar 2013 , 12:43pm
post #6 of 9

I just made 2 cakes this past week. I baked both on saturday and then froze both. Tuesday and used chocolate icing on 1 and the other buttercreamed and put back in freezer. I covered the chocolate 1 with melted choco then. Thursday I got the other cake out and finished decorating for friday.

Everyone said how moist they were. My wife keeps telling me she is amazed that they stay so moist knowing when they are made.

I'm with you though I'm a mess until I know everything is good!

DeliciousDesserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeliciousDesserts Posted 11 Mar 2013 , 1:00pm
post #7 of 9

AThere are many factors to consider.

Personally, I bake Mondays. I let cakes cook, cut, wrap them, & stick in fridge overnight. Tuesday, I crumb coat & back in fridge. Wednesday, I final coat & back in fridge. Thursday & sometimes Friday I decorate & final touch ups. Pick ups are usually Friday-Sunday & I never have a freshness problem.

Your timeline will depend on your cake, buttercream, & fridge.

rosiecake Posted 4 Jun 2013 , 3:27am
post #8 of 9

AOh wow. I never thought of cutting and buttercreaming a cake to put in the fridge for the next day decorate. That sounds extreeemely convenient!!!

I'm a little scared the cold cake will make the fondant sweat when I put it on. Do I have to bring fully back to room temp before fondanting?

This is great! Thankyou

vgcea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vgcea Posted 4 Jun 2013 , 4:42am
post #9 of 9

A

Original message sent by DeliciousDesserts

There are many factors to consider.

Personally, I bake Mondays. I let cakes cook, cut, wrap them, & stick in fridge overnight. Tuesday, I crumb coat & back in fridge. Wednesday, I final coat & back in fridge. Thursday & sometimes Friday I decorate & final touch ups. Pick ups are usually Friday-Sunday & I never have a freshness problem.

Your timeline will depend on your cake, buttercream, & fridge.

How do you alter this schedule for fondant cakes if you don't mind me asking? I'm working on tweaking my process.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%