Please Help!! Glitter Cake!

Decorating By cakecrush Updated 25 Feb 2013 , 10:20pm by ashleabrowncake

cakecrush Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakecrush Posted 25 Feb 2013 , 7:51pm
post #1 of 11

Hello to all my fellow cake lovers out there! I need help! I have a client that would like a cake that mimicks the picture attached...yup....the middle layer....glitter crazy! It is so beautiful but I do not even know where to begin to get that done! It almost looks like a clear "cake shellac" that was applied. I obviously don't want to cover the cake in disco dust...any ideas would be soooo appreciated! Thanks guys! :) Also...you can see the same technique used on the chocolate oreos...what is this magic glitter stuff? I need it!

10 replies
AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 25 Feb 2013 , 8:28pm
post #2 of 11

Well, that is most likely good old fashioned disco dust. And a loooooooooooooot of it. And it's a dummy too right? Looks like a bridal fair display. 

Ducky316 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ducky316 Posted 25 Feb 2013 , 8:41pm
post #3 of 11

Disco dust is NOT food safe. It is not meant to be used all over a cake. It's meant for fondant and gumpaste accents that will be removed from the cake before consuming it.

Izzy Sweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Izzy Sweet Posted 25 Feb 2013 , 8:44pm
post #4 of 11

I think the OP is asking if there is something out there that is meant for consumption that she can use and offer to the bride.. I have no clue here at all this is not my expertise, but I too am curious to know if there is something that is consumable that will give a close effect to this without the unicorn farts.

Omas Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Omas Cakes Posted 25 Feb 2013 , 8:47pm
post #5 of 11

ALooks like Magic Sparkles, edible flakes that can be ground smaller to glitter size. They melt when they get wet. According to the Internet they are sold in the UK, couldn't find a place in the US that has them.

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 25 Feb 2013 , 8:50pm
post #6 of 11

I'm sure the OP is aware that disco dust is not edible, hence the wording of her question. However, it does appear to be disco dust on a dummy cake. False advertising if you ask me, since no one would actually feed that to anyone. Hopefully.

Ducky316 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ducky316 Posted 25 Feb 2013 , 8:53pm
post #7 of 11

Opps..I didn't mean to sound rude....If I did I'm sorry :( Just wanted to make sure OP didn't try to duplicate the look with Disco Dust. I too have no idea what would be food safe and achieve the same look....

scrumdiddlycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scrumdiddlycakes Posted 25 Feb 2013 , 8:59pm
post #8 of 11

I order Magic Sparkles from the UK when I need edible glitter.

Usually if I have a full glitter tier, I just use a dummy tier, you can roll it around in the glitter, shake it, etc.

Carrie789 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Carrie789 Posted 25 Feb 2013 , 9:40pm
post #9 of 11

You might try silver sanding sugar. It is available in a fine grind.

Norasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Norasmom Posted 25 Feb 2013 , 10:01pm
post #10 of 11

Maybe you could airbrush it silver and then apply silver sanding sugar?  Looks like it might be hard to replicate without Disco Dust.  The person who invents completely edible Disco Dust is going to be mega, super rich!!

ashleabrowncake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ashleabrowncake Posted 25 Feb 2013 , 10:20pm
post #11 of 11

Amaybe suggest to the bride using a dummy tier so you can use the disco dust but also know it won't be eaten and have a plain kitchen cake ready to replace that tier for servings. I agree it is unfair of the original baker to use an inedible material on a display cake, it is very much false advertising, and leads to this, where a bride or other customer wants it replicated only to be told 'not possible if you still want it edible' they usually just think or say 'so and so did it, so I must be able to have it' and then either go elsewhere get upset. it should be stated on the display that the effect is NOT edible and is for display only

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%