Royal Icing As A Finish In The Heat?

Decorating By katiea Updated 19 Feb 2013 , 3:30pm by Ducky316

katiea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katiea Posted 18 Feb 2013 , 9:33pm
post #1 of 4

Hi ladies!

I have been asked to make my friends wedding cake and her wedding is going to be in a hot month in Australia! My question is, I don't want to use fondantas a finish as in our hot humid weather it can be a disaster! And i don't want to use white chocolate ganache as a finish as its more yellowy in colour and that will melt if it comes out of the fridge as well. My question is can royal icing be used as a finish to hold up under heat? Will it melt or will it stay hard and sturdy?

Thanks for your help/advice in advance! :)

3 replies
Ducky316 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ducky316 Posted 18 Feb 2013 , 11:15pm
post #2 of 4

I don't know what anyone else will say, but me personally I would not use royal icing. It tastes horrible...and it dries ROCK hard. I would think a butter cream recipe that has no butter in it will work..add a little butter extract instead. Use a recipe that calls for shortening and meringue powder should make it stable enough.

I however am not an authority on cakes and heat...Maybe someone else has different advice?

cakefat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakefat Posted 19 Feb 2013 , 4:54am
post #3 of 4

You put glycerin in the royal icing recipe and then ice the cake.- it won't dry rock hard this way and in the UK, cakes are iced this way sometimes. I have no idea if it stands up to heat though...

Ducky316 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ducky316 Posted 19 Feb 2013 , 3:30pm
post #4 of 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakefat 

You put glycerin in the royal icing recipe and then ice the cake.- it won't dry rock hard this way and in the UK, cakes are iced this way sometimes. I have no idea if it stands up to heat though...

I didn't know that about glycerin! Learn something new everyday! Thanks!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%