How Can I Stop My Cakes From Having A Bubble Or Bulging?

Decorating By ladicakes Updated 23 Feb 2013 , 1:57am by NJsugarmama

ladicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladicakes Posted 16 Feb 2013 , 2:14am
post #1 of 9

I have a huge problem with this. My cakes always start to bulge out from the sides in between the layers. I hate that so much. I always press down after stacking and create a dam with my thick consistency butter cream. I frost as smooth as possible and my layers are leveled perfectly. What can I do different???? 

8 replies
jtodd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jtodd Posted 16 Feb 2013 , 3:13am
post #2 of 9

AMaybe cut more of the top round off?

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SaltCakeCity Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SaltCakeCity Posted 17 Feb 2013 , 4:54am
post #4 of 9

I would suggest that after you frost the cake, let it set up in the fridge for hours. Sometimes, I let it sit overnight. Then, apply a second coat of buttercream and then back in the fridge for a few hours. Then another layer and the fridge again. Then I cover it in marshmallow fondant and send it back into the fridge. I know it's time consuming but for me, that's how I get the perfect 90 degree sides and no bulging. For my square cakes, I do even more layers. It builds a strong side. I hope that helps!

Jennifer

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 17 Feb 2013 , 8:27am
post #5 of 9

FYI, cake can't settle in the fridge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltCakeCity 

I would suggest that after you frost the cake, let it set up in the fridge for hours. Sometimes, I let it sit overnight. Then, apply a second coat of buttercream and then back in the fridge for a few hours. Then another layer and the fridge again. Then I cover it in marshmallow fondant and send it back into the fridge. I know it's time consuming but for me, that's how I get the perfect 90 degree sides and no bulging. For my square cakes, I do even more layers. It builds a strong side. I hope that helps!

Jennifer

Ya know what happens to 3+ more layers of BC and MMF when it comes to room temp for serving?

SaltCakeCity Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SaltCakeCity Posted 17 Feb 2013 , 6:01pm
post #6 of 9

I should clarify. Three THIN coats of buttercream. First is the crumb coat (and for mine, I still have some cake exposed because in this stage, I want to make sure my dams are holding in the filling), the second coat covers the whole cake so that no cake is exposed. The third coat covers the cake evenly. (I sometimes do a 4th coat to get it perfectly smooth with my straightedge and then I cover with a thin layer of buttercream. I've never a problem with there being too much buttercream on the cake so when it comes to room temp, no issues :) I've attached a picture of cakes I had in the fridge last summer that just happened to be coated differently! Then, you can see the finished product of a slice of cake at room temp :)

As a side note, if I'm not using filling in between the layers of cake, I only do 2 coats and make sure to get the straightedge out for the second coat. In between the coats of buttercream, I refrigerate for a few hours though to make sure the buttercream really crusts over.

I hope the visual helps! :)

Jennifer

ladicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladicakes Posted 19 Feb 2013 , 6:08pm
post #7 of 9

thanks alot for your help i will give it a try!birthday.gif

tjgett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tjgett Posted 23 Feb 2013 , 1:11am
post #8 of 9

Try using ganache as a crumb coat.  I had the same problem, and read a thread on here (something about never using buttercream again...), my problem is solved.  The ganache keeps the filling in place and works great!  Hope this helps!

NJsugarmama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NJsugarmama Posted 23 Feb 2013 , 1:57am
post #9 of 9

AAgree with tjgett...best move I've made was from buttercream to ganache coating.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%