How Can I Perfect My Recipe?

Baking By mumto3madboys Updated 11 Feb 2013 , 4:24pm by mumto3madboys

mumto3madboys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mumto3madboys Posted 10 Feb 2013 , 10:39pm
post #1 of 9

i have made a cake this weekend which came out perfect, it was more or less level without using baking strips and i will include the recipe further down as what i would like to know is how can i make this more moist and fluffy, will i be ok just adding a little more milk as i would like to use this recipe for another cake i am making this week but i don't have the time for a practice trial and error week! i was amazed at how it turned out so good but wasn't 100% on the taste.

450g McDougall’s premium self -raising flour

450g caster sugar

360g trex / crisco 

9 medium free range eggs

3 tbsp milk or buttermilk

the cake was good as it wasn't too sweet although my family said it was good i knew it could be better by being more moist which in turn will make it more fluffier?

i used a 9" square 3 inch deep tin and filled it 2 1/2" full. i baked it for about 2 hours at gas mark 4 for an hour then gas mark 3 for about an hour maybe abit longer!

i am not very good at experimenting so some help would be great in how to perfect this recipe!!

8 replies
auzzi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auzzi Posted 11 Feb 2013 , 12:12am
post #2 of 9

Victoria Sponge Variation
450g McDougall’s premium self -raising flour
500g caster sugar
450g butter 
9 medium free range eggs
4 tbsp milk

* slightly more sugar
* butter not shortening
* more butter
* slightly more milk

BakingIrene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingIrene Posted 11 Feb 2013 , 12:48am
post #3 of 9

Classic Victoria sponge would have 450 grams butter not 360 grams Trex/shortening.  Yes much of the extra is water (butter permitted to have 20% water by weight).

Fluffier cake is not the same as moister.

A fluffier cake would have a full cup of milk plus your sponge ingredients. Plus a good dose of vanilla extract.

To bake moister cake, less baking time is important.  A fluffy mixture split between two tins needs a maximum of 45 minutes to bake fully.

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 11 Feb 2013 , 1:07am
post #4 of 9

AI am wondering where the flavor comes from, if it is flour, sugar, shortening, milk and eggs? Please use butter!

mariel9898 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mariel9898 Posted 11 Feb 2013 , 2:56am
post #5 of 9

It may not have been spot on when it came to taste because there is no butter and no flavoring. I would use butter and add a teaspoon of vanilla or other flavoring, or some lemon or orange zest.

mumto3madboys Posted 11 Feb 2013 , 9:32am
post #6 of 9

thanks guys i did add vanilla extract!!! just missed it off!!  but will use butter instead of trex. 

mumto3madboys Posted 11 Feb 2013 , 9:43am
post #7 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by BakingIrene 

Classic Victoria sponge would have 450 grams butter not 360 grams Trex/shortening.  Yes much of the extra is water (butter permitted to have 20% water by weight).

Fluffier cake is not the same as moister.

A fluffier cake would have a full cup of milk plus your sponge ingredients. Plus a good dose of vanilla extract.

To bake moister cake, less baking time is important.  A fluffy mixture split between two tins needs a maximum of 45 minutes to bake fully.

i wasn't sure i could add so much more milk to my mixture! as most of the recipes i have read only call for a few tbsp of milk. so if i added a little more sugar, used butter and added 1 cup of milk with the original amount of flour and choice of flavouring then it should be a good cake?!

i understand that the longer it is baked the less moist it will be so putting the mixture into 2 tins instead of one is definatley something i am going to try.

thanks

MS Patty Perez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MS Patty Perez Posted 11 Feb 2013 , 1:15pm
post #8 of 9

AYou can use sour cream insted of milk

mumto3madboys Posted 11 Feb 2013 , 4:24pm
post #9 of 9

i did end up having a little time today to have a go making it with butter and a little more milk and it came out very fluffy and soft, its tastes great too but think it was abit to soft so going to reduce the amount of milk i put in next time!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%