All You Cake Decorators Out There!

Decorating By hannahmary11 Updated 4 Feb 2013 , 8:11pm by kblickster

hannahmary11 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hannahmary11 Posted 4 Feb 2013 , 6:49pm
post #1 of 13

I have made 4 wedding cakes for my sister and 3 friends and they turned out pretty well.I love cooking and baking and have always wanted to do something in the field. With cakes I feel like I have SOOO much to learn and will never be good enough to start selling and tackling more orders. 

When you first started did you feel this way? or were you just naturally good at it. I really want to do this, but don't know if I have the "natural talent" Or does it come with time and experience?

12 replies
DeliciousDesserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeliciousDesserts Posted 4 Feb 2013 , 6:55pm
post #2 of 13

AYes!! I still don't have the confidence that I can ever have the level of talent of so e of the greats. I did know I could bake but never thought I would be able to do some of the things I learned.

My husband constantly reminds me "What one man can do, another can do." It's from one of his favorite movies.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 4 Feb 2013 , 7:01pm
post #3 of 13

i think you should continue having fun with it and learning learning learning

doing for close friends and family

have 'happenings' when you create something awesome & invite everyone over to see and partake

but

when you add in the employment and financial thing it really detracts mightily unless

you are lucky enough to be in an area where you can make an easy shift in your own home to be 'legal'

like ohio and places like that

my advise is just have fun with it

to answer your question--i started out as a professional bread baker--then hired as the baker for a school, etc.

dorm kids started asking me to make their wedding cakes--i learned how through wilton yearbooks

you can def have natural talent--artistic ability translated into sugar art

time and experience is typically how we learn--plus you tube!

making mistakes is also very helpful--so planning a project well enough in advance to practice practice practice helps

best to you!

Ali3971 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ali3971 Posted 4 Feb 2013 , 7:05pm
post #4 of 13

I get better with each cake so continue learning new techniques and practice any opportunity you can. Do you have pictures of the cakes you have done? Id love to see them I'm sure they are great :)

melanie-1221 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melanie-1221 Posted 4 Feb 2013 , 7:05pm
post #5 of 13

It takes a little bit of everything.

I have been in classes with some people who are just naturals and picked up not only the decorating and designing but the baking and construction quickly.

It has taken me a lot of practice, classes, blog tutorials, youtube video's, cake central advice, dvd video's , books, and years! Just about anything I can find to improve. If I can find a pic of the first cake I did I will post it , I would classify it as a cake disaster now.

I have taken classes with people who were giving 100% and trying, and practicing, and very determinded, who just didn't have it. No matter how hard they tried.

Keep caking as long as you enjoy it!

hannahmary11 Posted 4 Feb 2013 , 7:10pm
post #6 of 13

Thank you so much for your help and advice! Confidence is definitely not one of my strongest qualities! haha I'm hoping it will come with time and experience:) I haven't taken any classes or anything yet, but I hope to do so soon! I was originally planning on being a Dietitian because it deals with food, but I keep coming back to thoughts of baking and making beautiful and delicious things instead! Thanks again!

hannahmary11 Posted 4 Feb 2013 , 7:16pm
post #7 of 13

http://hannahskitchenadventures.blogspot.com/ Here is my blog with some of the things I've made.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 4 Feb 2013 , 7:19pm
post #8 of 13

oh i love 'heck yes'!!!

very nice work and it looks like you're having fun

hope you can keep it that way!!!

Ali3971 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ali3971 Posted 4 Feb 2013 , 7:20pm
post #9 of 13

OK so you have nothing to worry about! Your cakes are great. They have nice smooth fondant they look to be straight and constructed well. You already have a good base of knowledge to start with and all you need to do is keep challenging yourself by adding a new technique and trying something different or new with each one you can. I would pay for those cakes and so would others keep up the good work and post those pictures on here you should be proud of them :)

plcharles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
plcharles Posted 4 Feb 2013 , 7:45pm
post #10 of 13

I have to agree with the others, I think you have talent so just keep working it. Try different things, different techniques. When I've had questions about how to do something, I typically reach out to others or scan YouTube...you'd be suprised what all you can find there. Also I've attended cake conventions when I can or your local cake organization mini classes or such...But just keep doing what your doing because it looks like you're on the right path!

Happy Caking!

melanie-1221 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melanie-1221 Posted 4 Feb 2013 , 7:45pm
post #11 of 13

Your cakes are beautiful...you absolutely have what it takes.

Time will build your confidence.

hannahmary11 Posted 4 Feb 2013 , 7:55pm
post #12 of 13

Thank you everyone!! You don't know how much you've helped me!!!!:) 

kblickster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kblickster Posted 4 Feb 2013 , 8:11pm
post #13 of 13

Fairly new here as well.  There are many days that I am really stressed and not sure that I really want to continue.  Then a fabulous cake will emerge from my kitchen and I am much more confident in my abilities. 

I think that many of us got into this as a hobby and as hobbies go, many give it up.  Wilton makes a fortune catering to those that dabble and quit.  (I have to keep reminding myself of this.  So many toys.....)

I have had many hobbies over the years. (Never been one to stay idle.)  This may stick and it may not.  I'm just being careful not to invest heavily in equipment that does not get a good workout and I'm not booking anything more than 6 months out right now either. 

I say if you love it - do it. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%