Printing Images Tips For Edible Images

Decorating By undecided Updated 1 Feb 2013 , 1:18am by Margaret393

undecided Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
undecided Posted 31 Jan 2013 , 11:20pm
post #1 of 3

I just got a printer and ink, and have been staring at it for weeks afraid to get started, I thought it would be nice to start this thread to get some pointers.  One thing that really bothers me is the idea of wasting that expensive ink.  i have read you have to use it all the time...but what if i don't need it?  is there a way to preserve the ink instead of printing all the time to throw it out if you are in a baking lull?

hope all of you printing have learned some useful tidbits to share :)  thank you

2 replies
BakingIrene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingIrene Posted 1 Feb 2013 , 1:05am
post #2 of 3

Let's start at the beginning--I sure hope you never used the regular ink cartridges that (probably) came with the printer (depending on where you bought it).

You have to print one sheet per week with any kind of ink.  You can print on plain writing paper if not on a sugar sheet. 

This is cheaper than running the "head clean" program each time you need to print--and it is cheaper than messing up expensive sugar sheets.  If your printer has sat for 2-3 weeks, do a "head clean" and then a test onto writing paper BEFORE you use a sugar sheet. 

No sorry there is no cheaper way to "save" the ink. The cheapest way to run any ink is to use refillable cartridges and to buy the ink in larger bottles. Please look back at previous threads on Cake Central for more tips and information about edible printing.

Margaret393 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Margaret393 Posted 1 Feb 2013 , 1:18am
post #3 of 3

Hi undecided

The main problem which can arise with this type of printer is that the PRINT HEAD COULD DRY OUT and you will get faded print outs or BLANK pages -  if its not used on a frequent basis, no matter how much ink is left in the cartridges!

Turning ON the printer at least once a fortnight, - will reduce the risk of this happening. Use PLAIN copying paper to print off one page from any document that includes a graphic/picture. Save the expensive edible paper for the image transfers to your cakes!

Replacement Print Head for  a Canon printer on www.anycake.com costs £57.00 where as each ink cartridge is £9.50

If ordering the printer by phone from this website sales staff  ask if you will be using the printer on a regular basis, or not - hence the good advice on maintainance.

Today I posted a reply to CC on a thread called "edible images" started by di_stump  with reference to this topic, which may be of interest to you.

Unpack the printer and make a start! I learnt alot from my own mistakes!!! Its a great bonus to have such a printer- once you get going you will be delighted with your purchase! Good luck!

Hope this helps.

Margaret393

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%