What Real Flowers Should Never Be Put On Cakes??

Business By bittersweety Updated 30 Jan 2013 , 2:09pm by ddaigle

bittersweety Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bittersweety Posted 30 Jan 2013 , 1:50pm
post #1 of 3

based off another thread about not putting real flowers on cakes, i was wondering, what flowers should NOT be put on cakes because of possible poisining or other reasons?  I had nevr really thought about it before bc i've never actually used real flowers on a cake before (just haven't had that bride yet) but i guess it would be good to know which flowers are better off a "no no".. i'm sure the florist would know, but i don't want to always bet on them letting me or the bride know...

2 replies
lilmissbakesalot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilmissbakesalot Posted 30 Jan 2013 , 2:05pm
post #2 of 3

If you ask me... any that aren't edible and organically grown.  Florist flowers are all grown using pesticides and chemical fertilizers.  http://homecooking.about.com/library/weekly/blflowersnot.htm this site has a good list.  You'll notice most of the more popular flowers used in bouquets.

ddaigle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ddaigle Posted 30 Jan 2013 , 2:09pm
post #3 of 3

If you google "edible" flowers and "inedible flowers" you will get a list.   I printed it up and keep it in my book.  I know Hydrangeas are a big no-no...I think Cala Lilies are on the inedible list too.   Both are popular bridal choices and I've actually seen these live flowers on cakes....scarey!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%