JasmineFos88 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JasmineFos88 Posted 3 Feb 2013 , 2:11am
post #32 of 42

I feel your pain I just did a Dr Seuss cake and it was a disaster =(

homecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
homecake Posted 3 Feb 2013 , 2:05pm
post #33 of 42

Did you only use straws???

I too use straws but once they are in the cake I insert bamboo skewers ( kebab sticks they are called here) and that really does help I have never had a problem with a cake moving using this method.

Also I always decorate and "frost" my cakes on the board ( I don't swap boards etc) If you are covering your board with fondant and don't want to get it dirty you could cover it with paper towels or (and this is my preferred way of doing it) once you have finished decorating your cake roll out a long "sausage of fondant measure the lenght to make sure it goes all the way around your cake board, wet your board a tiny bit and place your fondant on it making sure the two ends are at the back of the cake then just trim the edge around the board.

I find this for me is the neatest easiest way to cover the board and it also saves you a lot of fondant that would only be hidden under the cake.

Hope this was helpful

cassiet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cassiet Posted 5 Feb 2013 , 6:56pm
post #34 of 42

Wow, I love your cake and the good recovery!  Of course, it was probably Thing 1 and Thing 2 that knocked it over in the first place. They are troublesome little guys.

homecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
homecake Posted 5 Feb 2013 , 8:58pm
post #35 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by cassiet 

Wow, I love your cake and the good recovery!  Of course, it was probably Thing 1 and Thing 2 that knocked it over in the first place. They are troublesome little guys.

I actually did laugh out loud at your comment!!!! love it!! thumbs_up.gif

BarbVanHorn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BarbVanHorn Posted 6 Feb 2013 , 10:40pm
post #36 of 42

I'll just add one other tip I use.  I put cardboard cake circles between each tier so that there is a firm/flat area under the above tier that sits on the tier below where the wooden dowels are.  I can't tell for sure that you did that from the notes above.

Also, for a tall cake I take a small dowel cut to the height of the cake and use my electric pencil sharpener to put a point on it that I can then poke all the way from top to bottom to keep everything in alignment.

Your finished product was really lovely.  Well done!

Barb

keepingitreal21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
keepingitreal21 Posted 13 Feb 2013 , 12:53pm
post #37 of 42

AWow, sorry about your cake! It would have been pretty cool. Your cake mix may have played a crucial part. When doing sculpted cakes, you tend to have to use a firmer or more dense cake. I have had near disasters using box mixes for sculplted cakes. Lesson learned...whew ;-) I think you're doing tge right thing going for the bubble tea straws.or even poly dowels. You definitely need more infrastructure on a sculpted cake. Good luck!

letsgetcaking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
letsgetcaking Posted 14 Feb 2013 , 3:41pm
post #38 of 42

Nice recovery! I love the cake!

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 14 Feb 2013 , 7:52pm
post #39 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by keepingitreal21 

Wow, sorry about your cake! It would have been pretty cool. Your cake mix may have played a crucial part. When doing sculpted cakes, you tend to have to use a firmer or more dense cake. I have had near disasters using box mixes for sculplted cakes. Lesson learned...whew icon_wink.gif I think you're doing tge right thing going for the bubble tea straws.or even poly dowels. You definitely need more infrastructure on a sculpted cake. Good luck!

She remade it, and it was really cool ;-) 

keepingitreal21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
keepingitreal21 Posted 15 Feb 2013 , 6:01pm
post #40 of 42

AThe remake is awesome! Congrats!

vgcea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vgcea Posted 20 Feb 2013 , 8:13am
post #41 of 42

Nice save OP. I love how this thread went. Go CC!

kristenmbatt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kristenmbatt Posted 4 Dec 2013 , 6:06am
post #42 of 42

Sounds like you didn't use cake boards. Every couple of layers you should use a cake board to separate the cakes for support even if they are the same height.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%