Basketball Cake

Decorating By n8rd Updated 31 Jan 2013 , 7:31pm by -K8memphis

n8rd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
n8rd Posted 20 Jan 2013 , 3:50pm
post #1 of 23

I Just got my 1st cake order kinda excited about it. Its for a basketball with the maryland terps logo on it.  My question is on the logo would it look rite if I build it up color by color and then cut out on top f the ball and laid it in that spot. not sure if that makes sense or not. I was planning on using fondant or candy shts to cut out the logo design. Will that work?

22 replies
n8rd Posted 20 Jan 2013 , 4:05pm
post #2 of 23

Also when doing the dimples on the basketball instead of making each one could I use rice krispie treats and roll it out flat then lay it over top of the ball?

n8rd Posted 20 Jan 2013 , 11:37pm
post #3 of 23

I'll answer my own question if anyone cares. I tried smashing the krispies just to get me the texture but it was a no go. Looks like I'll be doing each dimple by hand. Good news I carved a ball pretty good! Any info would be greatly appreciated!!!

denetteb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
denetteb Posted 21 Jan 2013 , 12:06am
post #4 of 23

I can't help with the fondant question but when I do a buttercream ball if I take a cheap paper towel that has little bumps on it, I can  press it onto the crusted buttercream and make a good ball texture.  That probably wouldn't be stiff enough to press into fondant but maybe you can experiment with some kitchen utensils to get a good texture.  If I recall someone mentioned using a strainer.

denetteb Posted 21 Jan 2013 , 12:09am
post #5 of 23

Type.......ball texture in fondant cake central......into google and some relevant threads show up, maybe you can find some ideas there.

CarlaG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarlaG Posted 21 Jan 2013 , 12:31am
post #6 of 23

AI don't know if this will help you or not, but when I made a basketball cake I got the texture by using a circular piece of plastic canvas (for needlepoint) from the craft store. It was super cheap and super easy. I textured the ball after I covered it in fondant. There is a picture of it in my gallery. It's also my avatar pic. Good luck!

n8rd Posted 21 Jan 2013 , 1:54pm
post #7 of 23

Thank you for your suggestions. Your bball looks awesome Carla! I also found a post to use a meat tenderizer to get the dimples. I'll be sure to pust my pic of the cake next week. I'm going to be practicing doing the logo this week. How long will the fondant or gumpaste last once its out in air? If I get one cut out this week will it last until next friday? Thank you again! 

nicunurse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nicunurse Posted 21 Jan 2013 , 2:35pm
post #8 of 23

I used the non skid shelf liner to make the dimples on a BB. Worked out great!! Good luck!

n8rd Posted 21 Jan 2013 , 3:40pm
post #9 of 23

I was trying to find different sized of alphabet cutters and I'm not really having much luck on it. Do the make multiple sizes of letters in cutters. I need like a 1/2 in set and a 1 inch set of cutters. 

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 21 Jan 2013 , 4:26pm
post #11 of 23

and yes the piece will last for a few weeks or longer even

keep out of light

n8rd Posted 29 Jan 2013 , 1:57pm
post #12 of 23

Here we go...The cake has to be done tmrw! I'm down to carving the basketball and laying the fondant on.

-K8memphis Posted 29 Jan 2013 , 2:00pm
post #13 of 23

wow those are very good

n8rd Posted 30 Jan 2013 , 11:38am
post #14 of 23

So, I'm done. I carved last night and put crumb cut on this morning and put fondant on ride away...Should I have left it sit for a while? seemed likethe fondant slid when I was smoothing it. Kinda bummed but I guess I'll put it in for a learning curve. Also I tried the cross stitch material to get dimbles and It didn't look good soI smoothed it out. Also after covering the cake with fondant where should I store it. I left it sit out.

I also had to make a box since the size was odd. I glued wax paper to the inside of the cardboard to try to keep the cake from drying and to keep the cardboard smell off of the cake.

Thank you for your info!!!!!!!! and help!!!!!!!!!!!

denetteb Posted 30 Jan 2013 , 2:33pm
post #15 of 23

It turned out great.  I love the Maryland flag.  I don't work with fondant so can't help with some of your questions but from my time on CC it is fine to leave it out of the frig overnight if it doesn't have a perishable filling or icing.  And the fondant seals it so it doesn't dry out so there isn't a need to cover it to keep it moist. I think fondant can stretch a little so you have to trim it at the bottom, then maybe retrim.  Did you get the plastic needlepoint stuff or cross stitch fabric for the imprint? And I don't think you need to cover the inside of the box with wax paper, ,although that was some good thinking on your part.  I just haven't read anyone else doing that so my guess is that the smell transfer isn't a concern. 

-K8memphis Posted 30 Jan 2013 , 2:53pm
post #16 of 23

there's the whole frige or not to frige issues with crumb coats--so there's that--everybody does it different

the frige does dry the cake some but if the cake's sealed with icing this drying is diminished and the extra strength of the chill is valuable to some (me)

but those are personal preferences--freezing and chilling are important tools when used wisely

and it also can stop the fondant from relaxing too after it's been applied (can inhibit puddling)

i stock flat two piece windowless sheet cake boxes--so i always have acceptable food ready cardboard to fashion boxes

and i make the boxes first as soon as i know the size of my board-- i just tape the flaps flat and usually use two together

using one of those hand held big wide tape dispensers

just a fine point here--the picture shows little white bits by the black stripes on the b-ball

often it's just the way the flash caught things

but if it is removeable--if it is icing--you can take a hat pin and slice those off easy peasy --two cuts & it's gone--if you even feel like fooling with it

because it might not even be noticeable in person

but mostly i just wanted to illustrate how important the hat pin is

say you have a blow out--where the icing has an air bubble underneath--pop it with a hat pin

but wow it's an awesome cake and you're about to make somebody very happy!

n8rd Posted 31 Jan 2013 , 6:08am
post #17 of 23

AThank you all for helping. this wknd I'm doing a test run on a helmet just happens to work out good since its the super bowl. then its the dirt bike. thanks every1 I appreciate the kind responses, wife tells me I'm a horrible critic of my own work.

zhengyi24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zhengyi24 Posted 31 Jan 2013 , 7:43am
post #18 of 23

I am a novice, Diablo 3 fun? Now online quite popular, I heard that http://www.diablo4shop.com is a more professional Diablo 3  game gold website, it is reliable? Trustworthy?

zhengyi24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zhengyi24 Posted 31 Jan 2013 , 7:44am
post #19 of 23

I am a novice, Diablo 3 fun? Now online quite popular, I heard that http://www.diablo4shop.com is a more professional Diablo 3  game gold website, it is reliable? Trustworthy?

-K8memphis Posted 31 Jan 2013 , 1:53pm
post #20 of 23

your wife is right

occupational hazard of being a caker

icon_biggrin.gif

also pricing inhumanely low

tons of threads on pricing that you can search if/when you might want

CarlaG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarlaG Posted 31 Jan 2013 , 2:41pm
post #21 of 23

I think you did a great job! Good luck with the others!

n8rd Posted 31 Jan 2013 , 7:19pm
post #22 of 23

AIn response to the pricing I want to start selling birthday cakes. I only want to do like 3 a month for now do I need to register and all that good stuff?

-K8memphis Posted 31 Jan 2013 , 7:31pm
post #23 of 23

for family and close friends i think you're ok for a while

i think when you start doing for friends of friends you're out there and need to get it all up & up

lotsa rigamarole--no straight lines

hope all goes well

you can do lots of searches on here for that too

important to know--each locality and within even each of those (say from city limits to unincoporated areas of the same jurisdictions)

the rules can change--so best of the best to you

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%