Oops. Made Cake Too Soon. Now Gotta Store It...

Decorating By CrystalRain Updated 23 Dec 2012 , 4:08pm by CrystalRain

CrystalRain Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CrystalRain Posted 23 Dec 2012 , 3:42am
post #1 of 10

OK, I'm an idiot. I thought I was making a cake to be picked up TOMORROW. Instead, it is being picking up  A WEEK FROM TOMORROW.  I've already baked it and completely decorated it. Now I need to store it.

I distinctly recall my brother's cakes sitting out at room temp for 4 days with nothing but a layer of icing on them when I made his wedding cake. I then covered them in fondant and they lasted all week at room temp, and were perfectly moist and delicious, so I know my cakes are pretty moist.

This is a homemade peanut butter cake, no filling, with homemade chocolate buttercream icing and a frozen buttercream transfer decoration on it. It also has sliced Reeses cups as part of the decor. 

I don't feel like making the thing over.

I'm debating wrapping the box in plastic wrap and leaving out at room temp versus wrapping the box in plastic wrap and foil, and putting it in the refrigerator. I've heard that can be drying.

Ideas?

9 replies
tykesmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tykesmommy Posted 23 Dec 2012 , 4:18am
post #2 of 10

AIf I were told I was eating a week and 2 day old cake, I would probably throw up. I wouldn't sell it, serve it, or eat it. I say remake it.

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 23 Dec 2012 , 4:46am
post #3 of 10

Box it, wrap it, freeze it.  I would not recommend refrigerating or holding it at room temp for that long.

CrystalRain Posted 23 Dec 2012 , 4:57am
post #4 of 10

Does it lose flavor when frozen? I'm thinking of just letting my kids eat it and making it over in a week :)

mskerrih Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mskerrih Posted 23 Dec 2012 , 5:05am
post #5 of 10

It won't lose flavor.. I actually think cakes taste better when they've been frozen.. I've had to freeze one before for this same reason.. they raved about how fresh it tasted ...lol... just make sure you wrap the box in plastic wrap and let it thaw in the wrap.. it will be fine.

CrystalRain Posted 23 Dec 2012 , 5:17am
post #6 of 10

Thank you. I've never frozen  a cake before. If I freeze it now, would I be able to thaw it out Friday  and then keep in refrigerator or out? How long does it take to thaw? I want to be able to make sure I have time to redo it if it doesn't look good. :)

CrystalRain Posted 23 Dec 2012 , 5:26am
post #7 of 10

Oh.... and the Reese cups on the cake will be fine? That's what really concerns me. I thought I'd heard something about sugar separating when ever you freeze candy bars, etc.   I can't believe I got the date wrong. :(

vgcea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vgcea Posted 23 Dec 2012 , 8:20am
post #8 of 10

Whatever you do, make sure the cake is probably wrapped. You don't want it absorbing the smell of other foods in the freezer... unless you have a freezer solely dedicated to cakes....

Krypto Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Krypto Posted 23 Dec 2012 , 3:38pm
post #9 of 10

I recently froze some brownies with peanut butter buttercream and chocolate ganache topped with  Reeses cups. They defrosted beautifully!

CrystalRain Posted 23 Dec 2012 , 4:08pm
post #10 of 10

Glad to hear that! LOL. I put the cake in a cake box, wrapped it really good in plastic wrap and then in aluminum foil and put it in the freezer. It's getting picked up Sunday night so I imagine if I defrost it over Friday night I can tell in time if it still looks good, and if not, I'll have time to make it again.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%