Butter, Cold, Or Room Temp?

Baking By TheCakerator Updated 20 Dec 2012 , 10:56pm by TheCakerator

TheCakerator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheCakerator Posted 20 Dec 2012 , 2:53pm
post #1 of 3

Can never remember, but for NFSC should the butter be cold straight from the fridge, or at room temp?  Thanks!

2 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 20 Dec 2012 , 10:48pm
post #2 of 3

I prefer to make my cookies with cold butter--plop in whole sticks of butter--nothing wrong with cubing it first either. I use a KA mixer or an even larger one so the mixer does my work for me. If I had a hand held mixer I would use it more room temp. I don't think it matters in the great scheme of things. I think if you freeze your cookie dough before using it--this makes a difference in a good way for cut out cookies. But the temp of the butter going in the dough not so much.

I have a pastry chef friend who convinced me that the mixers nowadays can create enough 'heat' by  mixing so well that the rules for ingredient temperatures are not as important in an area like this for a cookie dough or a cake batter. Making a laminated dough like croissants or puff pastry yes. Cookies & cakes--whatever's easier for you. I think anyway.

TheCakerator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheCakerator Posted 20 Dec 2012 , 10:56pm
post #3 of 3

Thank you .. I ended up doing room temp but then popped into the fridge until tomorrow anyways .. hahaha!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%