Leahmaria7981 Posted 29 Nov 2012 , 5:21pm
post #1 of

There is a machine that is similar to a cricut but doesn't use the cartridges. It uses a computer program and prints and cuts from that program. I saw a demo of it at a cake competition and have lost the card. Does anyone have any idea what i am talking about? 

5 replies
Annabakescakes Posted 29 Nov 2012 , 5:27pm
post #2 of

Most likely a Silhouette Cameo. Around $300, and you can get it from Linda McClure, with her special blade holder and blade for cutting gumpaste, disc, and instruction manual for $85. I have them both. I cut icing sheets before I got her blade, but I couldnt cut gumpaste, I tried!! I haven't tried the new blade yet. http://www.*******************/catalog.html

Annabakescakes Posted 29 Nov 2012 , 5:29pm
post #3 of

Nice, what super sweet thing to do. Just replace all those stars with Des eret  De signs ,without all the spaces.  And "Linda McClure Silhouette"

Leahmaria7981 Posted 29 Nov 2012 , 5:34pm
post #4 of

Thank you sooo much! That is what I was looking for. Since you have both, which do you prefer? It seems the silhouette can do more than a cricut without having to buy all the different cartridges. 

Annabakescakes Posted 29 Nov 2012 , 5:54pm
post #5 of

I'm sorry for not being clear, but I meant I have the Silhouette and the special blade, not the Cricut. I had a regular silhouette long before the Cameo came out, and before the SD (previous version) came out, and before Cricut cake came out.

I was sightly tempted by the Cricut Cake, but knew I would wait for the price to come down, if I were to ever purchase it. Once I learned that you HAVE to have cartridges, I knew it was not for me. There is no way I use any of them enough to justify the price of them, and I knew that there would e hundreds of things I would want to cut that that aren't on there. To me, it is a no-brainer. 

I cut free fonts for cakes to make lettering, and designs, and I pride myself on being completely custom. I have made dozens of stencils that I have used a single time. Like a custom border that had the bride and groom's initials in it, some the shape of Jamaica and Kentucky, and other little items. I can't do that with the cricut. 

linedancer Posted 2 Dec 2012 , 5:03pm
post #6 of

Silhouette also offers the Portrait now, which is the new 8 inch cutting version, a bit cheaper than the Cameo..I am still using my SD, do lots of edible images, cookie bag toppers and boxes with it. 

http://www.silhouetteamerica.com/silhouettePortrait.aspx

You might be able to find it a bit cheaper somewhere else.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%